Unbroken

There is a promise/Woven deep under ground/It twists through broken bones/Runs over shrapnel/And creeps up to the sunlight/As tiny spots of red in a black world.
That red is my blood/Soaked into the dirt/Alongside my brothers/Whose bodies lay beneath the ground/It makes mud, now long dried/By the sun.
The long stems/Guide blood-stained flowers/Each shiny petal/A memory stolen/Without a thought/A life no longer lived.
There is a promise/Held in the ruins of each town/It sings of love and happiness/Of all the joy sucked out of the world/In that single moment/Of fear and heartlessness.
Each shattered brick/Holds the remains of a life/A family/Who had to run away/With death snapping/At their heels.
It tells of the need for home,/A safe place to rest/The hatred of intruders/The longing for freedom/The need for peace/The dawn of a new day.
The promise shines/Down as the sun on/Gallipoli’s hills/It creeps up in the soil/Of the Somme/And devastated Fromelles.
It’s the soft patter of rain/On the shattered streets/Of broken Verdun/It’s the ghost of birds singing/Under the booming shells/At Passchendaele.
It whispers through the trees/In the mud of Kokoda/It urges them on in/The horror of Sandakan/It’s the waves, licking clean/Darwin’s bomb-shattered coast.
It’s a promise that’s murmured/Through the crowded hospitals/As nurse’s comfort/Minds forever wounded/Every step and breath of the angels/Of No Man’s land.
It is a promise/Held in the shattered hearts/of those who died/It speaks of sponge cake/Forever waiting on the bench top/For the son who never came home.
It speaks of an empty room/An old cricket bat/A vacant chair/By the fireplace/A crumpled gum leaf/Sent in a letter.
It is the longing for home/The promise of warmth/A mother’s hug/A father’s smile/A spouse’s kiss/A safe place to be held.
It’s a love of one’s nation/A love of sunburnt plains/Of waltzing matilda/Billy and swag/Replaced by a slouch-hat/And a gun.
It is a promise of mateship/You won’t be left behind/Ignored tears/Shared cigarettes/Letters read aloud/In flea-ridden trenches.

It is a promise/It still rings true/Although years have passed/And now I hand it on/To those who fight for justice/To those who strive for peace/To those who long for freedom/To everyone who loves, is loved/This is my promise/This is the ANZAC spirit

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!