A Danger Within

A DANGER WITHIN
Ebony walked through the tall grass, its prickly ends tickling her bare feet. A small wind picked up, as though welcoming her back to the graveyard as it played with a few strands of her jet-black hair. It circled her for a second, her white nightdress rustling, then abruptly stopped. Instantly, everything died down in the graveyard: the grass and trees stood rigid, and the gravestones suddenly looked older- even the stars seemed to suddenly stop shining. The world quietened within the graveyard, and Ebony`s eyebrows furrowed, something was definitely wrong. It was her responsibility to care for the cemetery, ever since it was passed on through the family generation, and yet this has never happened before.
Suddenly, all at once, the trees began hurriedly rustling over each other, as though trying to rip their roots out of the soil and run for their lives. The overgrown grass followed, entwining with each other, yet without succession. Insects rose from the earth, all in one cloud in the air, and quickly flew away, leaving only a faint humming in the air. The wind followed, screaming and howling in terror, and only stopped for a moment to try and carry Ebony with it to safety, but soon gave up and hurried on for its life. Whispers rose from underneath the gravestones, but they weren't the usual calm, contend voices she heard every night- these were in hushed, hurried tones, and they grew louder as a massive cloud of dust was awaken from resting on the grave stones after all those centuries- even they were worried and scared. Flickers of unnatural light flew here and there, before one stopped next to Ebony, trembling with fear.
‘’Danger....’’ it whispered hurriedly, warning her of what was yet to come. Ebony looked at it calmly.
‘’ Who is causing this mayhem?’’ she asked, her face fixed in a neutral expression, struggling the worry out of her voice. The light seemed to dim as it turned to where it had come from.
‘’ Danger....’’ it answered anxiously before flitting away.
Ebony`s mind was clouded with worry, but her face was transfixed with confusion. Her grandfather had warned her of a disaster to arrive to the graveyard, but it was meant to be after centuries. As though in response, Ebony heard the rumble of thunder, as it cackled at her idiocy and arrogance from not worrying much back then. She felt her skin tingle with goosebumps as she turned as white as snow and glanced up fearfully at the purple sky. Clouds spiraled like a tornado of purple coloring, with a gaping black hole in the center. Lightning illuminated the sky, teasing her as it danced freely from that hole, and all three laughing cruelly at her ignorance. They were like an unwelcomed visitor, as would one barge into someone`s house without permission and insist on staying awhile. Ebony trembled as he took a frightful step back- the storm was coming. It was finally happening.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!