Three Wishes

When I was 8, I asked my dad what he would wish for if he got three wishes and he told me he would ask for our family to stay together forever, for us to have enough money and for worldwide peace. That night, I knew that was all I wanted as well. To be comfortable with my family, to feel my mums embrace and my dads care, to be protected forever.

But my dad's wish didn't come true. The years went by and I could see him changing. His salt and pepper hair faded into the whitest colour of snow and his once strong hands were now withered and shaking. His eyes once glinting wit the vibrancy of life were now blank and shallow. I knew he still loved me, even if he couldn't recall my name, even if he thought I was a friend from his childhood. My mum, even though she was the softest person I've ever come to know, was his rock. Now that she was gone I could feel him fading.

He was often waiting for her. Searching to find a trace of her perfume, waiting to hear her footsteps to welcome him home. Mum had once told me that opening yourself to love was to be vulnerable and I realised that that's all my dad is now. Vulnerable. Broken. He was here but he wasn't, he was a shell of himself, a wisp of smoke replacing who he used to be.

I remember a day, one of our last meals together. He chewed almost mechanically, without emotion or care. Suddenly, he grabbed a handful of dumplings and stuffed them into his pocket. I was startled and asked what he was doing. He turned around, looked me square in the eyes and told me that dumplings were his wife and daughters favourite. That he was going to bring some home to them so they wouldn't miss out. He said that it was getting late and he should be heading back, his daughter would be missing him now.

I do miss him. More than he will ever know.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!