Magnificent Eyes

Excellence Award in the 'Inspired 2019' competition

“Fran you look beautiful,” King Prixtin whispered, leaning over to face his fiancé. His hand reaching to tuck away a stray strand of her auburn hair, that seemed to dance on invisible wind. Francesca pulled back, Prixtin now unbearably close, the walls felt like they were caving in on her. There was no movement inside the throne room. It was just another trial for the people of Yulanvi, but for Francesca it was her first public event as future queen of Yulanvi.
“Thank you,” Fran replied tightly as she tried not to look at the thousands of eyes peering up at her. It felt strange to be seated higher than everyone else, in fact it was rather unnerving. Fran felt extremely overwhelmed. Known as the girl with no family, no background, no last name simply Francesca. She did not feel like she fit in here either, yet here was where she must stay. Prixtin looked her over with those keen steel blue eyes of his, noticing her unease, his mouth curled upward with amusement. She disliked the brash man, although somehow, she had to learn to love him. After all, isn't that how all arranged marriages worked.
Fran fiddled with the hem of her dress, specially chosen for her by Prixtin to show off her unique tyrian purple eyes. Often mistaken for a witch or fairy Fran often got hardened stares from the blue, brown and green-eyed people of Yulanvi. As Francesca's anxiety grew, she could feel something stirring within herself. Hiding her emotions, Fran buried the strange feeling deep down along with all her other grievances and regrets, then sitting a little taller she looks out over her people. Prixtin noticing the instantaneous change, grins widely. This woman was spectacular, and she was his. Surely she would soon notice the power writhing in her veins and then once she accepts and embraces it, they can stop this war for good.
Suddenly the throne room doors were thrown open as two men, with heads covered, were dragged into the room.
“These two scumbags were caught trying to rob the cathedral of jewels!” An angry male voice shouted “They are from the outskirts of Nzenikur! They deserve to be hanged!” Another voice jumped in.
Instantly Prixtin stood up and was calming everyone down before a riot broke out.
As the audience settled King Prixtin said with lethal calm “take off their hoods, I want to see their faces.” The guards hastily pulled off their hoods, a gasp went through the entire audience. Prixtin’s face went as white as a sheet as he beheld who was before him. The first man was fairly normal, however it was the second man whom the audience couldn't pull their eyes from. With a cocky grin he whipped his mid-length auburn hair out of his face and that's when the resemblance was uncanny. Fran stared at the younger man only to find that same tyrian purple eyes staring back. She was not alone.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!