Me And The Finish Line

I wiped my sweaty palms on my shorts, the sun shining on my face but a cold breeze whipping my back. My hands and cheeks were warm whereas my thighs were covered in goosebumps. The wind blew on the back of my neck, making me shiver as I shifted my weight from one foot to the other.
I stood on shaky legs, my right in front of my left, just behind a thin strip of white paint. I shifted my eyes from the to the finish, the line so far I could barely see it, seeming millions of miles away.
“Get ready!” A hoarse female voice said it, the sound reverberating in my ears. I counted down the seconds before the gun was shot. One. Two. Three…
The gun went off. I jolted forward, running as fast as my legs could carry me. I could not hear anything; the giant, roaring crowd muted by the ringing in my ears.
My feet thudded so hard on the ground that my whole body vibrated, but when my feet weren’t in contact with the ground, I was practically flying. I zoomed past, far in front of the others.
I refrained myself from looking away and fixed my eyes on my trainers instead, watching them as they appeared and then disappeared beyond my eyes reach. Watching them made me feel dizzy, so I tore my gaze away. Instead, I focused on my goal. Beyond, I could make out the flamboyant flags and vibrant banners shaking in the air.
No one had come to watch me. It was usually like this. But if I could win this race, maybe they would have a reason to come, maybe...
We turned a corner, away from the crowd, and I realised that I had been so deep in thought. A girl with crisp blonde hair had sprinted past me, keeping about a metre ahead.
She wore black shorts and a red shirt, just like me, though seeing her had crushed my confidence. But I would keep going. I would try.
I watched her closely, trying to get in front of her. But she wouldn’t give up her spot in the lead. I tried to go faster, but I was suddenly feeling overwhelmingly weary and my legs were aching. I was suddenly all too aware of everything, the balls of my feet hit hard on the ground and my arms hurt from pumping them.
I couldn’t keep going.
Why are you here? A tiny voice. Barely a whisper. I answered it.
I love this. I love this.
I received no reply, but I didn’t need it. Why am I here? Because I am greater than good, and I am here for a reason.
My heart pounded in my chest and I found it hard to breathe. I blocked out all sounds and closed my eyes. Just me and the finish line, nothing else. I kept going, didn’t stop.
A little closer. Don’t stop now.
And I didn’t.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!