Chasing Danger

Excellence Award in the 'Inspired 2019' competition

Alex had been running for an hour. Sweat blended with her eyes’ natural moisture creating a burning sensation. Her limbs whimpered in pain, begging for relief. She had willfully entered this mess and was determined to get herself out. Darting sideways, she was aghast by the magnitude of the beast’s mass as it slammed into a rocky wall.
Recovering too quickly, the beast continued its unrelenting advance. The steep path ahead was filled with rocks and ruts, twists and turns, making it difficult for even the strongest of climbers to scour. Alex lurched forward, following the pathway that twisted like snakes, trying to escape what she feared would be her doom. She could feel the beast’s heavy, hot breath on the back of her neck. The beast’s arms, scarred and bristling with five jagged talons, flew threateningly towards her, missing narrowly. She vowed she would be ready for the next attack. Ducking under the beast’s ferocious swipe, Alex luckily escaped another blow. As they approached the edge of the perpendicular cliff, the unimaginable mass of the beast came rushing forward. Alex watched on in horror as it was propelled forward in the direction of the nightmarish cliff face.
The beast tottered towards the edge and fell…almost. Alex continued to sprint up the jagged slope of the mountainside. She could hear the beast bounding towards her. Alex spun around and was forced to confront the beast head on. It loomed over her, with pale blue eyes that stared into her soul. She turned back around and saw a gaping canyon that stood between her and safety. Alex knew she only had two choices: attempt to save her own life or let the beast win. Alex continued to sprint forward. Something struck her foot, forcing her to the ground. The world spun as she hit the ground. Hard.
Her face contorted, her own blood tasting sweet, pouring out of her nose and cold lips shining slightly in the sunlight. Her head pounded, eyes stinging from blood and tears. Alex had run for so long, her legs were no longer responding. She could now see the beast getting nearer and nearer, its face twisting into a glaring snarl, its jagged teeth jutting out of its mouth. She began to panic. If the beast caught her it was all over. Alex heaved herself upwards, gritting her teeth through the pain. She began to run, but her legs buckled underneath each other. She fell again, this time screaming with the pain. With the last ounce of energy left, Alex pushed herself up. She was determined to reach the canyon.
The beast was right behind her. She bolted toward the canyon and leapt, looking down to see the vast plains fly beneath her. She narrowly missed the canyon face, barely gripping to the edge. Her arms swung over the top and she began to pull herself up. Alex rose to her feet, only to see the beast glaring at her, its icy blue eyes piercing her. She tried to run away but it caught her easily. She struggled until her body would no longer function. Alex collapsed onto the ground, knowing it was all over. She closed her eyes and waited for the beast to take her. This was the end. She never thought it would be like this.
The beast lightly tapped her left shoulder. For the first time she had failed. She had been tagged and now was it. As she prepared to chase her friends, a single thought ran through her mind: how on earth were they going to get down the mountain?

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!