Fatima

It was the fragile beads of sweat running down her forehead that started it all. “But Fatima needs her mother!” Aunt Dora exclaimed. She was shaking uncontrollably. She had tears streaming and blurring her glasses. She had her fist out as she burned with sadness and anger. “Fatima cannot live without a mother, it is abnormal for a nine year old girl!” The woman cried out to the doctor. “I know that your sister’s life is drifting away, I know how dreadful it is with a disease like this, but we can do nothing now that the tiny beads of sweat had formed on the child’s mothers lips,” They watched the screen beep in time with her heart for a minute in silence, after those horrible last words, BEEP… Suddenly the poor sister broke down into gentle sobs. She covered her face. BEEP… The little waves on the screen curved slowly down, inches from a straight line. The sister collapsed into a chair as the waves of her sister’s heart formed into a low line. I am so sorry,” She whispered softly. And all you could here in that room then, was the rain thumping hard against the window.
A rose was placed into a vase next to the bed. She drew her hands away and placed them on her mother’s heart. Tears more valuable than crystals dropped softly onto the soundless body, one by one, never ceasing. She wanted this moment to break but knew that it never will. There must have been hundreds of drops pouring from her eyes until the door knob twisted gently. Aunt Dora stood there, solemn. Her mouth never moved but her eyes smiled kindly. All tears gone, but grief forever resting. “Fatima,” The woman purred. The girl’s face looking up at her was soaked and full of sadness and loss. “Fatima, losing a mother is the most awful thing that could ever happen to a lonely girl like you, come with me,” Trusting her auntie’s faith and courage, Fatima slowly stood up and neared to the door. There were no other words to be spoken that day and moment. The pair left the room close together, Aunty and Niece… Not Mother and Daughter.
A minute passed on the clock in the hospital room. 2 minutes… then the door knob twisted one last time and a girl came rushing in, pouring her heart out. Fatima kneeled beside the bed and kissed her mother on the cheek. “I love you, Mamma!” She cried, and kissed her again. As she rested her hands in the other pair, a note was rolled in the left. Slowly, Fatima unfurled her mamma’s fingers gently. The note was addressed to her, and inside it said, Dear Fatima, my beautiful darling girl, I love you, and I know this is very hard for you but please remember to always be the brave and hopeful girl you are. I will always be here with you. I love you, love Mummy xxoo

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!