Rag Doll

Fresh air whips against my face and the waves move forward up to my toes then back down, the water was as cold as ice. I dig my head into my arms, legs up against my chest. The sky is grey, covered completely in clouds. No bird in sight, just the loud crashing of the waves, hitting against the rocks. Alice sat still, a lead in one hand and thongs in the other. A quiet bark comes from behind her, Alice turns around. But without one blink the small black fur ball was already at her knees. “hey Jet!” Alice scratched him behind the ear. He stood up on his two back legs, moving his arms up and down. Alice put her hands around his tiny waist and lifted him off the ground. Jet let out another little bark and licked her face. She carefully sat back down and placed him on her lap.

A bright light hits the ocean. The sound of the waves crashes over and over, like a rhythm. Jet is now asleep, his small body curled up in Alice’s lap, she strokes his curled-up fur. “what time is it now?” Alice pulled up her thick coat up and checked down at her watch. She put her hand over the screen to cover up the sun. The watch read 7:30, “it’s almost time Jet...” Alice placed her hand on his head and stroked him softly. “h-hey bud, I just w-want you to know…” she began to cry, “th-this isn’t y-your fault” she slowly placed him on the ground. Alice swallowed down a lump in her throat. She walked over to the jetty, threw her bag through rails and jumped over them. Alice looked down at Jet, his small body laying still along the sand. She began to walk forward. Once she got to the end of the jetty she stopped and placed her bag down. The wind was blowing her hair around and whacking against her face. She looked down at the rocks below, it wasn’t very far up. “I guess jumping isn’t an option,” Alice said as she pulled out some rope. “I’ll finally be free” She began to tie the rope around one of the metal poles. Once she was done, she took a quick peek back down at Jet. He was now up looking around. “I’m sorry, I’m so sorry buddy” the wind carried her voice away, Jet wouldn’t be able to hear her.

The rope was tight around her neck, and the wind was strong against her face. She looked down at the ocean, the rhythmic pattern still going. Alice slowly closed her eyes as she took one step towards the end of the jetty. She looked around her shoulder, Jet was bolting across the uneven wood planks. Alice took another step; her feet were off the ground now. Jet’s barks were loud, desperately trying to reach her. It was too late. Swinging back and forth, Alice hung like a rag doll.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!