Call My Name

Drapes of golden light peak in-between thin branches with autumn maple leaves. Hooves pound the dirt in a rhythmic state, occasional snorts filling the otherwise empty space. My right leg is numb as I try to move into a comfortable position without disturbing her. The weight of her head on my lap is nothing compared to the heaviness of my heart that pounds for her survival. The need to protect her gnaws at my stomach like the ever-present hunger that I’d long gotten used to.

I almost miss the hushed breath of my name calling for me. Although I had become accustomed to the fragile voice that now belonged to my sister, it pains me to hear how weak she is. My calloused hand brushes against the soft skin of her feverish forehead. Sweat glistens on the lightly defined features of her pale face, reinforcing the urgency of help that she acquires. I would climb mountains and swim oceans to see my little Emily with a tint of amusement in her eyes and the soft glow of her sun kissed skin once again. The closest doctor to our little village lives 3 days’ worth of travelling away. Precious time that evades us by the second.

A sigh of relief drips off my lips as the dirt filled path extends into the rocky terrain marking the beginning of the end. As we continue on our way, the air becomes a little thinner and the path a little narrower. The rock wall on our right towers high into the clouds, while on our left, the sheer drop could only be described as an endless abyss.

My body jerks forward as the cart abruptly halts. Heaving myself over the side of the carriage, my eyes land on the rock that has wedged itself inside the wheel. I grunt. My heart threatens to rip through my chest as the ground begins to tremble. Relentless pounding against the ground sings along with the desperate screams echoing around me. Dust soars up in waves. My lungs collapse upon themselves as I turn to see a wall of sheep scurrying towards me. I race towards my lifeline. Fingers linger on the wooden handle for a resting moment. The air is forced out of me as the unremitting blows to my stomach leave no mercy. Agonising pain rakes through my body, black dots threatening my vision. Sheep ram into me repeatedly. I lose my balance. Stumbling over the edge, I fall. The air envelopes me in its’ welcoming arms as I grab at it aimlessly. The thought of Emily sends a fire of desperation coursing through my veins. My hand slides into a crack in the cliff face. Red blood oozes down my face as I hit the rocks hard.

A slender hand curls around the edge of the cliff, glassy hazel eyes soon following lead looking down at me. Dark circles under her eyes seem so out of place against her ghostly white skin. My muscles quiver. Wind steals the words right off her rosy lips before they can reach me. In this instant, I only wish to wrap a reassuring arm around her shaking shoulders. My fingers ache. Pieces of rock start to crumble. My heavy heart weighs me down, and so does gravity. I watch as my baby sister's face contorts in horror, my name rolling off her lips. The rock crushes from under my hand. I am left with the heart wrenching truth that I can’t save her.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!