New School, New Life

My mother said she would drop me at the station. My mother says a lot of things that she doesn’t do. It’s not her fault, with my sisters gone, and now I’m leaving. Still, it would’ve been nice if she had done this last thing for me. So here I am at the station, alone, waiting for the train to come, leaving my old life behind. I didn’t hate my old life, but it will be nice to be around people like me.

“Students on the 8:24 train to Oak Hills Grammar School, head to platform four.”
“Sorry”
“Excuse me”
“Please let me through”

I was in the eye of the storm, the calmness I had temporarily experienced was escaping. And it wasn't just the calmness that was escaping. I was suddenly the smallest wave in an ocean of students, the waves surrounding me growing bigger. I managed to get onto the platform, getting a glimpse of the train itself. It was a standard five-car train, meant to hold all the students in my year, plus the year above me and some of the teachers. Perfect for a disguise.

“8:24 train to Oak Hills Grammar School, boarding now.”

The seats inside the train were covered in a dark red fabric, with ten seats either side of the aisle. Everyone else seemed to know each other. No one made any effort to communicate with me. Just like the first day of kindergarten.
“Please take your seat. The train is leaving shortly.” A voice came from nowhere. Everyone scrambled for a seat. Once again, I was left alone. I gazed at the other girls, wishing I could be like them.

“Excuse me,” I looked up. A girl was standing in front of me. “Is anyone sitting here?”
“No, you can sit here,” I responded.
"What is your name?" she asked.
"Mia" I replied. "What's yours?"
"Rose" she answered. “Are you excited to start school?”
“It will be different from my old school. I was bullied a lot there.”
“Why?” As Rose said this, her face showed she cared, an expression I’d never seen before.
“For being a witch.”

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!