Oleander

What happened to me was... meant to happen. At least that's what I tell myself. Last thing I remember was the sound of sirens. Then nothing. I was in peace at last. My life was... interesting to say the least. It was fun at the beginning. Learning to talk, going to school, making friends. But it all started when I was 19. My life... turned upside down. And it's all because of him... He seemed like a lovely guy at first. But that was all a facade. He was the devil within.

It was like not being able to breathe. Suffocating. Not being able to escape.

I was in an abusive relationship for two years towards the end of high school. Everything was fine at first, dates every now and then, having fun, like every other relationship. But then it creeps up you like tiger stalking its prey, and eventually, it pounces, pulling you in this never-ending fear that you will be trapped forever.

There's a cycle of violence. A stage where everything is awesome and you're in love. It's intoxicating. Then it starts to build up; you feel like you're walking on eggshells and you're jumpy and afraid something is going to happen at any moment. Then finally, he lashes out big time. The yelling, the screaming. It's surreal.

I never told anyone. They wouldn't believe me. They would accuse me of trying to just get attention, or call me a drama queen. Maybe they don't even care. They won't understand how hard it is to cut things off. They won't understand how doing what he says is for your own safety. They won't understand anything.

August 15th. The day that I was finally able to escape. He was about to lash out at me. But I ran out onto the road, crying for help. The car didn't pull over. I remember being blinded by the car's lights. Knowing my time on Earth, is coming to an end. Time went so fast yet so slow. I died on impact. I was only 20 that day. I never experienced love. I never experienced the joy the loving someone dearly. And it was all because of him.

I escaped. But at what cost?















FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!