Rainforest Sounds

The smell of damp moss fills the cloudy sky, as I hear raspy squawks and high pitched chirps echo above. I walk through the wet, sloppy mud, as the sky grows darker and chirps grow louder. The tall trees create a canopy above as I trudge through the dark, green, gloomy forest. I haven’t seen my tour group for over an hour and my nerves are taking over. The rain starts to spit and the wind blows rapidly, as I continue deeper into the forest.

Large footsteps fill the damp track ahead of me. I look around petrified, as the lump in my throat grows bigger. My legs shiver as I trek past the monstrous footsteps. I walk on and notice they suddenly end. I hear rustling to my left and peer through the branches.

“Oh my!”, I freeze. The male gorilla approaches at a rapid speed. My heart is pounding, I look left and right to see where I can find safety. The gorilla is still looking my way, as he lunges over. I take a step back and the gorilla stops suddenly. It is then that I see to my right, baby gorillas frolicking and playing over the rocks. My heart is still pounding as I realise the gorilla was approaching the babies, not me.

My nerves calm as I make my way back to the path. I need to make a choice. There is a fork in the path; one side is thicker rainforest and the other looks as though more feet have chosen this way. I make the logical choice and choose the worn path, which will hopefully lead back to my tour group.

The bright sun streams through the canopy above, creating a welcome glare after the rain. I hear peaceful splashes bubbling against smooth rocks and the murmur of distant voices. As I walk on down the path, splashes become heavier, voices louder and camera clicks echo above. I approach a bend, still looking at my beautiful surroundings in awe.

“Ouch”, I say aloud, as I bump my knee on a large rock. I look up to see a giant waterfall. My bright blue eyes reflect off the crystal water. I walk around the waterfall slowly, as my hand brushes past the rocks. “There she is”, a husky voice exclaims. Instant relief floods my body as I reunite with my tour group.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!