I Promise

“Morgan?”
“G-go away, Jackson,” Her voice was as soft as a whisper but still heard as clear as day.
“What are you doing up here?”
“I-I’m just chilling,” The hesitation in her voice made it obvious what she had just said was a lie.
“Morgan, stop lying to me. I’m meant to be your best friend!” Morgan’s strawberry blonde hair was blown over her face by the wind. Her freckle covered face was also covered in tears.
“I’m not lying!”
“Then why are you crying?” Jackson’s gentle expression had changed to an angry expression. His hazel hair was a complete mess as they stood there on the school roof. Rain pouring, tears streaming and hearts breaking.

“Morgan, please tell me…” Morgan hesitated for a few minutes before she made her way over to Jackson. She avoided eye contact as she stood there in front of him. Jackson took her hand and started walking towards the door which would take them back inside the school.
“I’m sorry, Jackson…” It took them only a couple of minutes before they were both back inside the school. The stairs were empty, as they should be. Jackson closed the big red door and sat down on the steps. Morgan sat down next to him looking around. She stared at the empty blue walls, then she stared at the clean white floors. It wasn’t long before Morgan met Jackson’s eyes. His bright hazel eyes were nothing like her dull grey eyes.
“What’s wrong Morgan?”
“I’m fine, Jackson. I promise!” Her words said she was fine but her voice said that she wasn’t.
“You’re lying to yourself and you know it!”

Morgan looked into Jackson’s eyes once more before standing up. She fixed her soaked uniform and started to walk down the stairs. Jackson watched as she left knowing nothing he said would stop her. It wasn’t long before Morgan’s short blue skirt and white shirt was no longer visible. The sound of her footsteps against the marble stairs were no longer heard. Jackson stood up end fixed his soaked uniform and started walking too. He made it to the bottom of the stairs where he found Morgan in tears. The hall was full of students at their locker. He sat down next to Morgan and put his arm around her.
“You don’t have to tell me what’s wrong but you can at least promise me something,” He whispered so only she heard.
“Okay…”
“You need to promise me that no matter what you won’t let the thoughts in your head win!”
“I promise!”
“Good, I don’t want to lose you.” Morgan and Jackson watched as the other students made their way to class as they sat there in silence. Jackson still had his arm around Morgan and Morgan had her head on his shoulder thinking about the promise she had just made. As she thought about the promise she glanced at Jackson and gave a small smile and Jackson smiled back.
“You won’t lose me, Jackson.”

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!