That Australian Spirit

Excellence Award in the 'The Inside Story 2020' competition

Streaks of nature and memories in homes go up in flames as it sends shockwaves through communities. The noise of crackling fire overrides the constant sound of sirens. Some scurry away with desperation while some have nowhere to run.
Those who have nowhere to run aren’t just humans but also the vast wildlife that surrounds. As fires gain more ground we start to go further on the back foot. Kangaroos can be seen slowly creeping closer to houses and roads. More than a splash of water was needed, so what could save us in this large devastation?
The thoughts in people were not good. Not reassuring. Not positive. It seemed as our reputation has been put aside – that Australian spirit. The question of rain filled most minds while the question of any more hope filled the rest.
Christmas day was edging closer but for a lot of families Christmas was going to be spent without a home and for some without a loved one. Support piled in from other families but there is only so much people can do, and unless they had a gift of rain, there was nothing that could stop these raging fires. And not only was Christmas day arriving but the thought of starting a new decade like this was dreadful.
It took a while but finally, a splash, a very small one but it was one. What was a splash turned into rain– a sign of relief, but a few drops wouldn’t cut it. Small fires were put out while larger fires only slightly died down.
There was less intensity in the fires, but they still managed to continue. Still soldiering on through towns, still burning down homes and destroying the land. Action was done through funding and support, but we still needed the rain.
And we soon got some. Again, it started out as a splash and some got excited, while some made a bet with their friends it would only last a minute, but soon it would get heavier. The rain would become heavier as the amazement started to kick in even more. Surprise and relief filled the locals.
Although the rain was gradually slaying the fires, families were coming home to burnt houses and extreme financial loss. The rain was good and almost essential, but great loss of homes and even lives was hard to comprehend.
The rain came down saving town and settling fires, but it was a time for those Australians to reflect on such a fire season. Families broken, lives lost, homes gone, and land demolished but what keeps us going is truly special, That Australian Spirit.


FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!