On Dry Land

Negative thoughts rushed through Tai’s mind as they were hustled off the water-logged boat. What if the other refugees shun us? What if I can’t find Lien? Father saw the look on Tai’s face.
“It’s going to be alright” he said reassuringly.
“How do you know?” Tai argued back.
“TAI!” said father with a stern voice but soft eyes, “It will be fine.”

That evening, Lien took Tai to sit on the hill where she often sat to watch the night sky and wait for him. “Lien?” he asked. “Have you kissed a boy?”.
“No” she said looking at her hands. They moved closer. Their lips were almost touching when Lien screamed. A hooded snake was wrapped around her ankle. Her breathing became shallow as she slumped into Tai’s arms. “Please don’t die” he sobbed through his tears. He kissed her softly, “I love you”.
Lien looked into his eyes “I lov...” But it was too late, she was gone.

Each day Tai sank further into darkness. “Another refugee from our province is arriving” father announced. But Tai didn’t care.
“Hello, my name is Ying,” a voice said brightly. Tai turned and saw a girl about the same age as him. She was unlike anyone he had seen, with aquamarine eyes and hair as dark as the midnight sky. She’s beautiful, he thought.

As the months passed, Tai and Ying became inseparable. She told him how her family had perished at sea. “Tai, I thought I would never find happiness again, but you have lit up my heart”. Tai blushed. They looked at each other for what seemed like days until Tai broke the silence.
“Do you like me?” he asked.
Without hesitating she burst out “I love you Tai!”. They moved closer and their lips met. Tai closed his eyes; he wanted this feeling to last forever. Suddenly his father burst into the tent. Before Tai could react, his father ripped them apart. “STAY AWAY FROM MY SON!” he roared. Tai tried to get up, but his father held him firm. “You are forbidden to see THAT girl?”. He spat out the words.
“NO!” Tai shot back.
His father turned purple with fury. “She is the daughter of Chien. The traitor who destroyed our lives”. The words rang in Tai’s head, but he didn't care. “I love her!”. His father raised his hand to strike him, but Tai pushed past.

Grabbing Ying’s hand, he pulled her along the fence line. Further down a guard was patrolling. He spotted them and crouched down, preparing to tackle them. Tai dove forward flinging Ying into the air. As she flew overhead, the guard was caught by surprise. She was almost there! The guard reached up hoping to grab her, ...but he was too late. Tai slide through his open legs to freedom.

Running through the forest, his father’s words still circled in Tai’s mind. How could his father turn against him? They were so close. Maybe someday, somehow, they would meet again.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!