The Abandoned Garden

Carefully Lilly peered through the creaky old car window and exited. She stopped and listened but all she could hear was leaves rustling in the wind. Birds tweeted and flew branch to branch happily.

After some time Lilly had arrived at the fence of the Abandoned Garden. Trees stood towering all around the garden and dandelions were growing in patches around the healthy grass. Bunny’s were leaping around. It wasn’t long before she swung the fence open and stepped in the garden. Lovely bushes were growing around with bright red roses on them.

Lilly sat down next to the bushes and listened to the butterflies as they flew around her ears. It was around here she had first seen the little fairies. All afternoon she waited until the sun came down and she fell asleep dreaming of rainbows and lollies.

That morning she woke in shock. The clouds covered the sun, causing dark shadows around the garden. A strong wind whipped through the garden. Lilly held her breath. A branch fell. Bushes swayed side to side and a shadow appeared in between the trees. Was it just her or was there something there?

Creeped-out Lilly stared through the fence, while her head told her monsters were real…
Strong growls came from among the bushes. Lilly gasped and watched in fear as the shadow started moving tree to tree. Lilly screamed. She ran. She ran so fast her little legs struggled to catch up. Vines whacked her bare arms and roots tumbled her over as she ran. She was certain that the growls were coming closer and closer to her. Some sort of monster…

Lilly reached the fence and grabbed hold of it. She was standing there catching her breath. No growls. Nothing. It was like the monster had disappeared.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!