That Special Feeling

That Special Feeling

One day, Michaela Jess Stilts was pushed out of the hospital in a wheelchair with her face dropping with sadness. She had just had a quad bike accident where it rolled over her back, she could not feel below her hips, but she was in pain; the x-rays showed a brakeage on her lower part of her back. Being the strong girl, she is, she was able to sit straight in the chair in a lot of pain.

She heard the doctor speak to her Mum; she was only 12 and was a competitor in the finals of Campdrafting Australia, her dreams were going to be ruined. Her favorite thing in the world was her horse called Peanut and her poddy calf, Horrid Head-Butting Henry. She loved him and Peanut. But she had that look of determination.
In a week she was going well with therapy and was nearly done with it. She was going home each day.
When therapy stop she did jobs as excises like water buckets for henry and Peanut. One day Michaela was mixing feed for the Nanny goats, when Henry head butted Peanut’s saddle. Me too, Henry, I want to go for a ride but I just … “Maybe.” Michaela talked out loud by accident “Maybe, just maybe I could ride.” While Michaela was deep in thought, her Mum came and interrupted, “Don’t even think about it.”
“Why?”
“Just don’t!” her Mum yelled with concern.

That night Michaela talked to Henry; who sneaked into the house. She was looking at quotes about never giving up for homework and she found this one, never give up on something that you can’t go a day without thinking about it. She knew she had to ride Peanut. “Thanks Henry”.

At 3:15 am, Michaela went to the stable to fined Peanut eating last night’s dinner left overs. As soon as he saw that Michaela was holding a saddle he started neighing with excitement. NEIGHHHH! “Shhh, Mum will hear you.” Michaela stated. She led Peanut out of the stall slowly. He flinched as the saddle mat slipped on his back. Then came the saddle with a lot of struggle. Finally, with lots of energy and nerves (and help from Henry) Michaela pulled up and sat straight in her saddle smiling her face off. As she entered the arena, Peanut got scared of the squeal from the gate and ran off around the ring. Michaela screamed but the wind took her words away. Soon she steadied herself in the saddle, no-one could have taken the smile of her face except … her Mum!

Michaela did not listen to her mum as she cantered a circle. Eventually her Mum stopped screaming and smiled, then Michaela stopped Peanut and exclaimed “Mum I’m made to do this, it’s my thing and it gives me that special feeling. You can’t stop me!”
“ I know,” said her Mum. “It’s made for you.” Then they embraced in tears and laughter (so did Henry).

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!