Wasted - A Zombie Apocalypse Story

My eyes opened. I was at home. I wondered what had happened. It felt like I had been asleep for years.
I stood up and looked around the dark living room. There was dust clinging on to everything and shattered glass all over the floor.
I looked around for my parents but could not find them.
I walked over to the kitchen and flicked the light switch, but nothing happened. The room stayed still and dark. I flicked the switch a few more times before giving up and walking back into the living room and looking out the window. Everything looked as if it had been abandoned, all the plants were dead and there wasn't a human being in sight. Then from the corner of my eye, I saw a group of people slowly walking towards my house, they didn’t look normal though, they were covered in blood and they looked like they had been rotting for weeks. They slowly walked around lifeless. What were those things? Were they zombies? I wondered.
Just at that moment, I realised what happened to me and why there were no living beings in sight. I was in a zombie apocalypse. Whatever turned those people into zombies must not have worked on me, it must have just knocked me out for a while. How long have been knocked out for though? I thought.
I stood up and rushed into my bedroom where my bag was lying on my bed. I picked it up and started to shove random items of clothing into it. I then went into the kitchen and grabbed a knife.

I cautiously walked out and down the stairs that led to the bottom of the building. When I reached the bottom there were at least fifteen zombies waiting outside, so I snuck behind a car on the road and slowly left the area without being noticed. I walked about a mile into the deserted city, hiding from any zombies I saw.
I needed to find my parents I thought
I walked around the city for a while until I heard a groan.
"Oh no," I said putting my bag on my back and pulling out the knife I grabbed from the kitchen.
The groans got louder until the door opened. Multiple zombies flowed out of the elevator, some falling over each other, and walked slowly over to me. I ran to the edge of the gigantic building and looked down. They must have followed me up here! What am I going to do? I'm stuck here. One of those disgusting creatures grabbed me as I was looking down and pulled me back into the swarm of them. I stabbed some of the zombies for a while but more of them kept coming.

I looked at the crowd of zombies and was suddenly shocked at the sight of two particular zombies. They were my parents. I knew it was them because, even though they were bloody and rotten, some of their features were still the same. I stopped at looked at them until a different zombie grabbed me. I stabbed the zombie and threw it off the building and kept fighting off the others until my mother grabbed me. I couldn’t kill her, she’s my mother I thought. I kicked her back and walked to the edge of the building, I looked down, contemplating if I should jump. Just as I was making up my mind, a zombie pulled me back into the hoard of zombies and they all jumped on top of me. I tried to get up, but I couldn’t, they were all holding me down. I gave up and sat there letting them gnaw and scratch at me. I was only delaying the inevitable by trying to survive…

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!