The Flood

The water surged urgently, through the metropolis of Brisbane. It came tumbling and crashing, flattening everything in its path. It was merciless and relentless chewing up huge buildings and spitting them out again. It sent a sweeping tidal wave down the tight collection of skyscrapers and straight into the path an escaping girl. Clara heard it before she saw it, and by then it was too late. The water slammed into her like a ton of bricks sending her tumbling under the water as if she were a rag doll. Random rubble flying into her thrashing body, she sank down onto the crumbling road, meters under the water. Clara felt the hard bitumen under her feet, she tried and failed to push up off the road embedding shards of glass and splintered wood into the soles of her feet. She needed air. Fast. She desperately needed to get to surface before the next wave- Clara was caught by surprise as another powerful surge blasted her through the water and cracked her head on a huge chunk of concrete wall. As her limp body slowly began to sink down through the murky water, Clara watched the last precious bit of oxygen, bubble out of her mouth. She thought 'I wish this day had not come so soon'. Clara let her eyes slowly flutter shut. They never opened again.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!