Happy


I smile as the cool autumn breeze flows through my long, brown hair. Nothing can ruin this feeling. This feeling of pure happiness. I wrap my coat tighter as I continue my walk home. My backpack feels heavy on my shoulders, but I still feel happy. The reason I feel so awesome is because I finally faced my fears. My fears? Fiona. The school bully. The meanest fifth grader in our primary school. Even the sixth graders are afraid of her. But she targets me. The nerdy girl with glasses and green eyes. And I’m in fourth grade. But today I faced her.

It was lunchtime, and I was playing with my friend, Izzy. But she had to read to the preps today. I had done my shift on Monday. Her shift was today, Tuesday. So I sat down and read a book. I was only on page twenty-three when a large shadow came over me. I knew immediately it was Fiona, and her two puppets, Sarah and Lexi. I gulped, before hurriedly stuffing my book in my bag.

“What’s that in there?” Fiona growled, before snatching my bag. “Books.” I replied nervously. “Any money?” Fiona sneered. “No. You took it all yesterday.” I muttered. “Aw. Anything valuable?” She asked with a threatening crack of her knuckles. “No. Only a present I got for my Mum.” Instantly I regretted saying it. “A present for my Mummy.” Fiona, Sarah and Lexi mimicked. They laughed. “Good enough. When do you get more money?” Fiona laughed. “Next week.” I curled into a defensive ball.

Fiona reached into my bag and pulled out a glass cat playing with a ball of string. “How much was this?” She snarled. I didn’t want her to take it so I stayed quiet. Fiona dangled it over the ground. “Answer me. Now!” Fiona yelled.

I felt a rush of anger as she dangled the glass cat. “Never.” I murmured before jumping and grabbing the cat, and landing on my feet. Fiona’s face went red. “Give me that cat!” She screeched and charged at me. I stayed put. She stopped in front of me. “No.” I said firmly. “What did you say?” Fiona glared, but I stayed calm.
“I said no. And from now on, you will leave me alone, along with everyone else. No one likes a mean girl. Now, hand over my bag. Please.” I said firmly, but calmly. Fiona slowly handed over my bag. The sneer on her face had gone. I was shocked when I saw tears in her eyes. “You’re right.” She sniffed. “No one likes me.” Fiona hung her head.

I was appalled. “No, I didn’t mean that! I meant if you keep on being mean! I’m sure everyone will be willing to give you a second chance.” I held out my hand. She took it, and grinned at me. She looked lovely when she smiled.

So now we are friends. And I’m forever happy. I’m sure she is too.

THE END

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!