Under The Water

They were old. Old as time. Their hair had since turned grey, their skin turning paper thin and wrinkled. They had their battles, and now they rested. Rested was a stretch though. Even now, with their brittle bones and sunken eyes, they walked a strong pace. When they walked they bought the wind with them, and the wind carried stories. Stories of love, of loss and anger, with victories and losses throughout.

Their memory was old and rusty, full of the past and present. If you asked them their name, they would not be able to tell you. But they would be able to tell you tales, one of a little boy sitting in front of a tiny black and white television screen, eyes glued to a spaceship taking off, unheard of for his time. One of a teenager screaming at the police as they dragged them away from their love, bruised and beaten, but not finished off yet. One of an old woman, leaning down to a grave and letting tears pour down her face.

Right now, they were sat on their chair, grey hair tucked messily under an old dark blue beanie. It was a gift from a loved one and they made sure to wear it often. It was cold outside. It was always cold here, they thought. And it was. Tucked away in a little Scottish glen is where they sat, just beside the loch’s shores. It was picturesque, aside from the dangers lurking in the deep.

They leant back in their chair, letting out a long croaky sigh. The waters were turning and it sent a cooling spray of loch water into their face. That made them smile, just a little. They looked down beside them, making sure that their trusty fishing net and dagger was there. As they leant down to grab it, they heard the familiar roar of a battle and smiled.

“I am old” their croaky voice said, passing over the troubled waters “Do you wish to do battle child of the river. Or shall we talk”

Another loud roar echoed around the loch.

“Battle it is child. Prepare.” they answered, holding their dagger more firmly, diving into the water gracefully despite their bones giving loud creaks of alarm as they swam out into the current. They wondered what the creature was. They had fought redcaps in the past and they were not keen to do battle if there was another here today.

They dipped underwater, catching only glimpses of the monster they were set to battle with. It was an interesting experience, and their lungs burned with disuse. But they pressed on, trying to get to the centre.

They gasped as the loud roar startled them from their swimming, looking upon the large kelpie, furiously beating its hooves against the otherwise tranquil water. They treaded water carefully, their old wrinkled skin deepening with concern. This would be a challenge. But if it kept the village safe, they would do it.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!