Scapegoat

From odd beginnings and futures led astray, Kwan recalls the eventful hours that occured not long ago.

Haneul, stop being so cryptic, it’s not you!

If Kwan was able to change the past, he would do it in a heartbeat, but unfortunately now has to deal with the consequences. Hearing a knock on the door, Kwan disposes the rest of his pinot noir and sighs. It's only a matter of time before Haneul’s downfall would surface to the locals. Haneul was once the most brightest child, so energetic, driven to serve the country. Kwan was at a loss for words, where did he go wrong? Dark, evil, heartless Haneul, with his wicked tricks and heinous and unforgivable acts, made Kwan pity him.

A phone call brings him back and he hears the ring blend with the constant tapping of the front door. He needs to see Haneul. Swiftly slipping his Doc Martens on, he was out the door. His best friend called out his name, wanting to know what was happening, phone still in hand. Endless spiral stairs consume his precious time. Kwan knew where to go. The car ride was long, his head aching just like his chest, drinking whilst driving is a mistake in itself. Soon enough, he had found Iryeong Station, deserted, leaves piling on the train tracks.

“Haneul!” Kwan called out, hoping he was not too late. There he was, sitting waiting for a train that will never pass by. “Haneul, there you are!”. There was a glint of excitement that quivered in Kwans voice.

Haneul didn’t look up, but exhaled, swinging his feet, letting them dangle beneath him. “You are the only one who ever cared about me, my whereabouts, what I was up to, how I was feeling. That was all on you, I couldn’t ask for anyone better. But it was a mistake- coming to find me.”

“Although i don’t know you long enough to make a judgement, I know none of this is your fault. You are just a puppet, controlled, just like the rest of us. Your strings pulled, a scapegoat, framed for the worst of crimes..”

Kwan sat beside him, a hand sliding around Haneul’s shoulder. “If I admit things are hard, will it get better? Maybe if I had grasped the situation sooner, I wouldn't be in this mess. I didn’t murder anyone, do you believe me Kwan?”

“I believe you.”

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!