Never give up

I’m no good at sport. Everybody agrees. Everybody teases me. Madeline’s always telling me to ignore it but I can’t stand it especially when Kara the class bully laughs at me. You’d think I lead a boring life, wouldn’t you? Here’s what happened with me and sport.

I was at school camp playing cards. I won. Kara walked through the door and challenged me to another game. The looser had to do what ever the winner said for two weeks. Unfortunately, I lost. Kara made me jump into a lake. I challenged her to a running race. I don’t know what I was thinking!

BEEP! The siren went. I ran as fast as I could, but I could see that I was loosing. Kara was ahead by 10 metres. It was an 800 metre race and I went too hard at the start, I had to pull out halfway through because my stomach was aching. I went home sulking. I walked through my front door and slammed it. I went into the kitchen where I found mum. She asked me what was wrong but I took no notice. I went upstairs to my room with a cool glass of water.

That night, mum came into my room and asked me what was wrong. I couldn’t see any way out of it so I told her the whole story. She told me not to take it to heart and suggested I try a sport that I had ever done perhaps gymnastics. At my first lesson the gymnastics teacher [Melissa] asked me if I could do a bend-back. I shook my head.

Things didn’t improve for quiet some time, During my 3rd lesson when doing a cartwheel, at least I could get my feet off the ground. The 5th and 6th lessons I missed because I caught hay fever off all the spring flowers. At the final 8th lesson [after weeks of practice] Melissa asked me to do a bend-back. It was perfect. I do a split and cartwheel. Melissa called for the bar. I was thinking what is the bar. Melissa said I could do a cartwheel on it. I do very bad on my first and second time, the third one was perfect. I go home grinning from ear to ear. I now had the courage to challenge Kara, in a gymnastics competition.

It is the day of the competition and we must do a bend-back. I do a perfect one, Kara wobbles. I do a perfect split, Kara is way off. Now for the beam. I asked if I could borrow the beam. I do a sensational cartwheel, Kara falls off. By now an audience had gathered. For my new move. I turn around so I’m facing away from the bar. I back flip and then do a spin of it. Kara runs away with a look of fury in her eyes. But not only had I beaten Kara, but I had also realised some thing…
Never give up!


FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!