The Flicker Of A Flame

The warm sunlight flickered through the tall trees above me as the leaves danced in the breeze. I was as sweaty as a pig and the humidity had drained all of my energy. Even under the shade of the towering trees, I could not escape the scorching heat.
I noticed a distinct burning smell in the air. It was the smell of charred wood and burning leaves. I started to feel worried so I stood up to see if I could find the source of the smell. There was smoke in the direction towards the hills so I decided to climb up a tree to see more. I was stunned by what I saw…
There was a blaze of fire racing up the valley towards me! Scrambling down the tree, I started running in the opposite direction of the fire. It was so oppressively hot, my clothes were sticking to me with sweat. My imagination was working overtime, the fire was catching up to me. As I took one-step, the fire leapt three steps. As I got slower, it got faster.
I caught a glimpse of an old metal shed, it didn’t look like much, though there was no choice, it was either that or keep on running and the fire would reach me. I rushed inside the shed, in hope it would protect me from the burning flames. Scurrying around looking for supplies, I managed to find a few dusty old blankets and a small container of water. I guzzled down some of the water and tipped the rest of it all over the blankets.
The fire had now reached the shed. I covered myself in the blankets and hid under a small table. I found it hard to breathe, inhaling all that smoke, I felt the oxygen being sucked out of my lungs. There was so much smoke, I could not see a thing. I felt the flames getting closer and closer, there was too much smoke and I could not breathe properly.
“Tommy!” I could hear someone shouting in the distance. “Tommy!” It was my Dad!
“Dad!” I bellowed. “Help me!”
My Dad came to my rescue. “Tommy what’s wrong?” he exclaimed.
I answered, “Mini Tommy has been trapped by the fire!” I held up a small doll that had short red hair and crisp blue eyes, “If we don’t save him he will die!”
My Dad looked down at the doll with relief. “Tommy, don’t scare me like that, I really thought you were in trouble”. I lowered my head and fidgeted my fingers. I managed to squeak out a quiet “Sorry”.
“It’s okay,” My dad continued, “now let’s go for a bush walk”. I replied, “I’d really prefer not to dad, it’s way too hot and a there might be a bush fire!”

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!