Sapphire Streets

Shades of vibrant sapphire and amethyst hang from above, scattering the day’s fading light. It dances and swirls on my arm as I walk. The street is packed. Lucky me, I guess. Streams of beings trickle through at the pace of a dripping tap. It’s a good thing I’m so thin. I wedge my way through the crowd. This time of day the street is filled with markets, selling delicacies from all over the three systems. Seeing my exit up ahead, I swiftly duck around the corner into a narrow passageway that’s practically empty. My hands find a wall and I stay there.
I’m nestled inside an open stall. My eyes hook onto the gem. It sits, shimmering in the faint light. This is what I came for. My hand reaches out. I’m shaking uncontrollably. My fingers grasp it. I can’t breathe. This must be worth a thousand credits. At least.
I stop dead. Someone’s here. Have they seen me? They can’t have. The thought thrashes against my skull like a drum. But I was wrong. The man yells something, and before I know it, there are four of them, belting down the alleyway. Towards me. I drop to the ground, sinking behind a stack of empty crates. One of them fires. The red bolt of energy barely misses my neck.
I freeze, my arms like wooden stumps by my sides. I’m useless. Another bolt flings past my ear. I start to panic. They’re getting closer, I can hear it. Creeping up the alley, closing me into a corner. Limiting my chance of escape. Then I see it. To my left, across the alley is a weaponsmith. There’s no way I can make it. My thoughts race as more lousy shots are fired in my direction. I close my eyes. Try to concentrate. Concentrate. My breathing slows. I exhale. My eyes open and I jump. Panic carves at my spine like a jagged blade. For a moment I’m weightless, hanging like a stone on the edge of a string. My feet reach the ground and I let my body fall, my weight pulling me to safety. I’ve made it. Without thought, spurred on by pure adrenaline, I reach over into the store. There’s no time, I’m too late. I jump up, see them running. My gaze fixes. Time slows. In a single motion, a single moment, I flick myself around and fire. A searing bolt of blue light materializes. It connects with the barrel just as I’d hoped. The side of the market erupts in flames. It cracks and creaks, caving in across the passage. Pure thrill jolts through me. I’m free. I turn and run; the gem firmly secured in my palm. As I turn back onto the main street, I catch a glimpse of the city. Tall metal spires stretching into the sky, and I smile. I can finally leave this place. I can finally make a better life for myself.
I can finally be free.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!