Off Leash

The last thing I can remember is my owner taking off my leash and hearing my owner scream my name. How I wish I had listened to him and had gone back to him like a good dog. But I didn’t. I kept running away from him, away from my owner.

I’m Charlie, a Jack Russel. My owner adopted me from an animal rescue centre in NSW and made me his dog. I have had a rough start to life but my new owner thought he could fix that. My old owners had bought me from a pet shop a couple of kilometres out of NSW, and had left me tied up to a post on the side of the road where I was rescued.

My new owner wasted no time in showing me around my new home . He unlocked the front door, I raced past him and all around the room, tail wagging. I fell asleep as soon as I laid down on my new bed. ‘Maybe this is my forever home’.

The next day my owner took me to the park a little ways from his house and next to a little wood .He had bought a new ball to throw to me. He unclipped my new leash from my collar and threw the ball towards the wood. It bounced off the green lush ground. I raced after the ball kicking up chunks of dirt and grass. Instead of catching the ball I ran past it, my owner called my name shouting madly. I never looked back, I kept running towards the woods and away from my owner. He had started to run after me calling for me to stop, but I didn’t. I ran into the woods. I had been running for about eighteen minutes now and had started to get tired.
I looked at my surroundings and tried to find a way out. I was swarmed with little black pesky bugs and the smell of damp oak trees filled the air. As it started to get dark I lay down on the ground, the cold piercing my skin.

As soon as I had run away, my owner started asking people if they had seen me. He went home thinking I would come back the next day. I didn’t, nor the next day and the day after that. It had almost been a week before he had seen me. Then he received a phone call…
It was from an animal shelter twenty three kilometres out of NSW.
They said they have a dog with his phone number on it’s collar.
As quickly as he could he travelled down to the shelter.

When he arrived he realised that I had travelled forty five kilometres from where he had last seen me. He rushed to where the people said they have me. There he was, my owner. I barked as he scratched,patted and hugged me.
He took me back to his house, finally I was home.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!