Day 13

I have contracted a deadly disease and my body is in decline. I feel it in the tightening of my chest after each breath, in the pain of doing simple activities such as eating. My hands shake with effort as I bring the spoon to my lips.It looks like pumpkin soup but my mouth has been numb for quite a while.
I guess you are wondering: what deadly disease do I have and how did I get it?
Well I was on a holiday in the Bahamas,I was pretty drunk, on the beach with my beautiful wife. (I am reckless when I get a few drinks in me). I decided to take a swim in the cool ocean to clear my mind. I walk up to my calves when I notice a small crab-like creature. Grinning I pick it up and start shaking it towards my startled wife. She squeals her girlish squeal and backs away from me. I toss my head back and laugh then I pretend to eat it. Tipping my head back and slipping the creature down the side of my cheek. This freaks my wife out more and, feeling delirious from the alcohol, I popped it in my mouth and swallowed it. A rotten taste fills my mouth as it slips down my throat. It's slimy and I almost vomit it straight back up. I'm starting to think this was a bad idea.
I spent the next 2 days vomiting up after every meal, every sip of water. I couldn't keep anything down. My wife became concerned so we decided to head back home. As we passed through the airport lobby there was security waiting at the gate. They marched up to us and demanded I be taken into isolation because they don't want to take the risk of whatever sickness I have spreading. The first week was a blur as I was whisked into a secluded room and confined to a bed. My skin became rubbery, and started peeling in places. I used to panic. I used to care what was happening to my body but that was before the permanent wave of pain washed over me.
I lay in bed all day and stare at the ceiling, my body going through a vicious cycle of pain then numbness as I am injected with pain relief. My dreams are as hazy as my brain. Dark shadows blinking across my vision, me viewing my body from the outside. Strange, drug induced dreams assault me until I am unsure whether I'm dreaming or awake Now we are back to the present, I hope this is the present. Day 13. At this point I just want to die. To slip peacefully away in my sleep and venture into whatever comes after death.
Two days later I got my wish. I feel the cool bliss of darkness overtake my body and I know that when I fall asleep I will, thankfully, not wake again in this world.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!