Under My House

Crash! Another bolt of lightning illuminates the sky, it is like every other rainy day at my home… there is no reception. “Mum, I’m bored,” I groan from my slouched position on my sofa. “Play your video games,” she suggests, before turning back to her work. Not in the mood for video games I groan and drag myself from the couch. Wandering downstairs, I spy a small rusty door set into the wall. There is a pungent odour escaping through the small gaps in it. I open the door…

As the door, ancient and creaky, swings open I am greeted by a disgusting dank stench. “Hello?” I stammer into the gaping hole that looms beyond the door. Cautiously, I begin to descend the slimy, moss covered stairs. “Oooooh,” a pale, blurry figure appears in front of me, grinning, glinting its shining white teeth at me.

I run.

My heart pounds in my ears as I stumble through the narrow hallways that seem ready to eat me up at any moment. Wishing I was anywhere else, I risk a glance behind. My pounding heart slows slightly as I heave a deep breath in. I have lost the ghost. Quickly, I drag a few of the old musty boxes--that litter the floor--into a small fort. Building a wall between me and the ghost.

Sitting alone on the hard stone floor, I begin to shake. How will I ever get out? My sobs fill the musty space; my fingers are icicles. As I grope along the floor, my fingers suddenly brush against something furry. Is it a ferocious black spider? Or an old teddy bear? Cautiously—with trembling fingers—I reach towards the mysterious object. I pick it up—expecting, something to bite me the moment I do—and run my hands over it.

It is rectangular, with two holes the size of a fifty cent piece, and long strings attached to either side. I know what this is! It’s a mask. As I lift the mask, strange and mysterious, towards my face it is as though it is beckoning me. Tying it loosely around my head I peer to my right, the ghost is staring at me. Its icy gaze freezing me solid. What do I do?

Suddenly—as the ghost is about to lunge at me—a blast of mysterious white light emits from the mask. It stuns the ghost momentarily. Giving the second I need to rush past the foul creature; the mask flying off my face. I bolt up the stairs knowing one thing for certain, I will not be returning to the basement any time soon.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!