Fears, Tears And Wishes

Huddled in a tiny corner, I wished upon a river of tangy tears. I wished to be whisked away from misery. I wished for my fairy godmother. I wished for everything but this.
Glasses of clarity clattered and shattered on my precious floor. Scents of smelly brandy and wine choked my airway and strangled my sight. Slowly, I retreated further into my tiny corner. My tiny corner in this house - the madhouse.
I remember something Mother would always whisper to me, “When pitch-darkness falls and lanterns fail, fear is a luxury. When war invades and there’s no escape, fear is a luxury. When death gladly claims what life forsakes, fear is a luxury. No matter what happens, I’ll always be with you and I’ll always love you.” In this tiny corner of fear, I had the only luxury that I could ever afford. Father has finally drunken himself to sleep. Cautiously, I tiptoed to the lifeless heart of this madhouse. Mouldy ceilings, unwashed dishes, bruised bulbs of light, wrecked walls. Everything and anything but sanity. There lay the man who promised me a future. Was this my future? To live in this madhouse and… live like this?
With a tear soaked face, I made a final wish. Not upon my teary misery, but upon my hopeful heart. I selected a partially shredded stone coloured plastic and silently waved the madhouse goodbye. A new fear rooted itself in my conscience. The fear of worse happenings. BEEP! BEEP! A bus whooshed past me like an opportunity speeding away from me. “Wait! Please!” I yelled huffing and puffing.
It stopped. I hopped in. Paying the driver with my partially shredded plastic, she took pity and gave it back. The cold kissed my worned out skin as I sat on a leather seat.
I don’t know where I’m going. I only know that Mother will always love me and be with me wherever my fears, tears and wishes take me.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!