The Fire Within

I looked out to the burning forest. Flames danced across each branch, leaving a trail of destruction. I smelt the air. The smell was wonderful; it smelt of burnt charcoal, reminding me of my old house that always had a small fire. But the fire also smelt of fear, reminding me of when my father would come into the living room to hurt my little sister and I. I could feel the warmth of the blaze. Fire feels warm and welcoming, but if you get to close to the flame, you get burnt.

In the forest, the fire spread down each branch until it met its match. A lake. It tried to spread across, but the water was a brick wall. Like my mother when she tried to stop father from hurting us. The fire continued to push forward, then what I thought would be impossible, the brick wall crumbled.

The fire spread across the lake toward the trees on the other side. Just like my mother when father had had enough. He reached for the gun in his bedside draw. The sound of trees smashing the ground reminded me of the loud shot that pierced my ears with such force I stumbled back.

I watched as the small animals in the trees ran to get away from the powerful flames. Scurrying like me and my little sister running from the house to get away from father. I stood there watching as the trees and anything still in the forest burned.

The fire soon engulfed the whole forest. It was reaching out for the grassy plains. I just stood there. I could hear sirens. Sirens that sounded like the ambulance. The ambulance that failed to save my mother. I saw a small snail, trying to get away from the fire that was attempting to take its life. But the small snail failed just like my little sister failed to get away. I watched as the fire crept closer and closer to me.

I stood there. I wouldn’t run again. Not like when my sister watched me run while father dragged her back into the house. The heat was searing but I was not afraid. I heard the sirens get closer and I could soon see the flashing lights in my peripheral vision. I looked down at my feet, the flames licking my toes. It hurt. It hurt a lot.

I heard voices yelling out to me to run away. I ignored them. I screamed as the flames raced up my legs. I screamed again only stopping when I had no more air to breathe. I closed my eyes ready to be free. To be free from the pain.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!