Gallipoli


Gallipoli

Chris was 16 when World War I was declared. He and his five friends thought war would be an adventure. They agreed they would become part of the infantry. When Chris turned 18 he and his friends rushed to the nearest enlistment and enlisted as infantrymen. 2 weeks later they were transported to a camp, where they were taught gun skills, trench life and basic medical skills. They were then transported to Galpoli for their first mission.

As soon as the fleet of boats reached land, bullets started barraging down. Chris immediately dived into the icy water and started crawling towards the beach, returning fire whenever he could. Almost immediately Chris's friends and a few other soldiers followed Chris and started crawling. They sheltered wherever they could But those who stayed were killed or injured.

While Chris was firing, in the corner of his eye he saw a bit of movement, he instantly realised it was a sniper! Without any hesitation he took aim and shot. The sniper was dead. A few meters before him Chris saw a boulder and started crawling towards it however stopped, when he heard a MG08 machine gun firing. Chris took out a grenade, pulled the pin and threw it. However he misjudged his aim and it fell a few meters off, but it surprised the Turks, giving time to crawl forward.

Chris took another grenade, pulled the pin and threw it, this time it landed a few centimetres away, killing the Soldier instantly, and also seizing the machine gun fire. However not for long. As soon as the soldier died a new soldier came and started firing again. Chris was out of grenades so Chris quickly took aim and shot, the soldier instantly collapsed. Chris started crawling forward shooting whenever he could. After a few hours it became evening and the soldiers started digging small holes to get some shut eye.

The next morning Chris was woken to the sound of shells blasting,Chris panicking woke up, took his gun and started crawling. As he was firing, he saw two of his friends crawling forward, sheltering behind a boulder. Instantly he started crawling towards them and whispered “I thought I lost you guys! We better stick together from now on!” Nick and Luca grinned and replied “Agreed!” Chris then asked “Where’s Alvin, Mike and Steve?” Luca quietly whispered Alvin got shot. Mike and Steve both got hit by a shell, but they survived…” tears sprung Into Chris’s eyes, but blinked them away with fury, he would get revenge on the Turkish! He turned to his left and saw a dead soldier with a machine gun. He took it and charged into the battlefield firing and screaming “THIS IS WHAT YOU GET FOR KILLING MY FRIEND!!!!!”

Suddenly everything went black. A few days later Chris woke up to find his left leg amputated. After recovering he was giving a medical discharge and went back to his hometown where he became a hero!



FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!