Gafferocious

It was a calm, quiet Saturday at 12 Skyscraper Road. Eric had just woken up and was doing what he always did on Saturdays. He went into the backyard and over to the big Jobi tree where a big rope ladder led all the way to the top of the tree. There stood the biggest, best treehouse EVER! (Eric called it his “Ultimate Air Lair”) He climbed inside, but he was shocked at what he saw.

“WHAT THE WHAT!” Ranted Eric “What on Earth is this thing?” Laying in front of Eric was a golden egg.
“What’s going on Eric…?” Asked Izzabella “Is that a golden egg?”
“Well it looks like it,” replied Eric.
The Friends began discussing the egg.

Then Twenty-one seconds and ninety-nine milliseconds after Izzy arrived the egg began to crack.
“... and it’s so wired ‘cause like…” Izzy was rambling on when Eric interrupted her.
“Stridor look…” (Stridor was Izzy’s nickname). The egg shook and then…
“HIYA!” exclaimed a little dragon as he broke the hard egg to pieces. Part of the egg flew towards Eric. He dodged it but it hit the wall and the the two friends noticed a small note. The note said: Hello Eric and Izzabella, I have been watching you for a while, studying your play. I have noticed your love of Sci-fi and fantasy, especially dragons. So I have left you a gift. A dragon egg. This dragon is a flamethrower crossed with a nail tail and golden dreque. Because of his breed he will be very mischievous. He is unnamed. On the back of this note is a care guide. And whatever you do DO NOT tell anyone about this dragon.

The friends were very puzzled.
“ I think we should name him Stridor jnr,” suggested Izzy.
“No,” Eric said kindly “ we need something that says I’m fun, but I’m also fierce. Like umm… Like Gaffa, short for Gafferocious,” suggested Eric.
Once the dragon heard that he turned and jumped up and down excitedly.
“Gaffa it is,” laughed Izzy

First the two friends made a chart of who’s house Gaffa would stay at each night. Then they taught him to only do his “business” on trees. Then they practised bathing him, and finally the two put all their money together to buy food for him.

A few years later
The friends had done a great job at keeping their dragon friend a secret and taking care of him. They continued to look after him for years. They watched him grow older, as they grew older. They had treasured moments together that would never be forgotten. Even when Izzy and Eric were adults they continued to look after their dragon. Even when Eric and Izzabella were married and had a child together, they still looked after Gaffa. No one else ever found out about the dragon. They still all live together to this very day. And they intend to continue living this way, for forever and always.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!