The Five Elements

A Blessing in Disguise

I have always had a curious streak. Ever since Zeus fashioned me from clay I have suffered from curiosity. Whilst Zeus worked on me, I would lay my fingers out in the sun, to see if they would melt away.

Zeus married me to Epimetheus. I wore a white dress from head to toe, still smeared in the clay fingerprints of the Gods. Epimetheus was beaming broadly in the sunlight, jubilant and proud as he stood by my side. He wore glistening jewellery, of the kind not even the Gods possessed.

After my marriage with Epimetheus, Zeus had given us a box as a gift. It was ornately decorated, made of clay with enigmatic patterns chiselled around. However, with the box, he gave us a note, the simple words, “Do Not Open”. Ironically, the key was attached next to the curious box. It made me question myself. Why would he give us something we couldn’t open?

***

The box sat there, gleaming in the moonlight, alone, in solitude. One night, fading voices entered my head, luring me into its presence. “Open up!” “What will Zeus do?” The temptation drove me insane. My mind split in two. My insides screamed and finally, curiosity won its battle. I reached out my hands, jammed the keys and anxiously, opened the box. Oh no! Oh no! I had made a mistake!

Darkness consumed the room. One by one, ghastly shadows swirled out of the ajar box, screeching and laughing as they escaped. I watched in horror, as corruption filled the room: Envy, an emerald entity screamed as it cackled with hysteria. Disease deranged smile made me shiver, its yellow, skull-like face glaring into nothingness with its hollow eyes. Anger’s scarlet snarl issued rapidly into the room and rattled at the windowpanes. Hate scuttled, crab-like out of the box and went sideways up the walls, ripping great gauges with every claw.

The trauma caused me to collapse. Epimetheus, hearing my screams, came running. He saw the box in my hands, the key locked into place. His eyes were consumed with worry. His presence gave me the strength to gain consciousness. I stared into his eyes, but it felt different. Yes, something was different. A feeling of aggravating rage filled my soul. The feeling of hate was satisfying. Maybe Zeus had saved us. Love was meaningless. Anger was strength. Disease was a weapon. Envy was power.

Then, a tiny light exited a little slit in the box. It was different from the others. It was a white, peaceful dove. To my surprise, it replied with a smile,

“My name is Hope. Thank you for freeing me.”

It rose into the sky with grace and followed. The name stuck to my head. Hope. The thought of hope soothed my soul, like warm honey in the Summer, creating a sensation of peace. I knew that hope would make a difference in the world. And so, it did.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!