Virus Outbreak

The death of many lives was because of this. People lost their friends and family because of this. People lost everything because of this, but what was it.
5 years ago
There was a scientist who was working on making a serum that makes you immune to all types of viruses but it went wrong instead of the intended result, the serum gave you all existing viruses, mutating and becoming the deadliest virus in the entire world. It took over the scientist’s body forcing him to spread the virus to others and by sundown he was dead, it went all over the world until it infected over 75% of the population.

Worldwide chaos. People were scared. No, they were frightened. They tried running away from the virus but in the end, they met the same fate as the scientist. After 2 weeks the virus killed 90% of the population, only those who had prepared for such a thing survived and one of those people was me.

At the time of the virus my family and I were hiding in our bunker, the one my dad worked hard creating for us just in case a nuclear bomb hit. He put food, water and everything for us to survive for five years. He never thought there was going to be a nuclear bomb, but he built it anyway, if he didn’t build this, we would be dead for sure. We were safe for a couple of weeks. We had board games, weapons for protection, beds and power… but that was not enough.

My dad thought that the virus might take over me, so he went outside and before he left he said “If I get the virus…kill me.”

He went outside, locking the door whilst we waited, worrying if he would return. Then we heard a knock, my mum opened the door, immediately shutting it. She was scared. She spoke the words that I feared,

“Your father has the virus.”

I was stunned, remembering his words. Hesitantly, I took a gun staring teary eyed at my dad and BANG! I shot him.

My family and I never went out of the bunker again.

Five years passed and we have barely any food, I had finally overcome my grief. We knew we couldn’t survive if we didn’t go outside to find food but upon stepping out into the open…the body of my father greeted us. My sister, my mother and I were the only people in the world to survive the outbreak. A heavy feeling overcomes me as I look blankly towards the body.
THE END

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!