Water Mist: Deaths Call

Wondering around the forest at night is dangerous, unless like me you understand the dangers of the forest. As I walk through the forest the lake catches my eye, I see a little girl staring into the depths of the water. I gazed at the little girl, transfixed by the lake’s water; what is she staring at? None other than herself I think, dumb little girl, but the thought hits me of how much trouble she is in; staring at the water.
I begin to scream at the girl, stupid, the girl can’t hear me she can’t hear anyone but deaths call, it will take her life if I do not help her. I must not look at the water otherwise I will be taken too. I walk across jagged rocks, staring at none other than the girl who is bending her knees to dive. I am pushed by a elf– darn those elf’s they never liked me - sending me flying backwards to the lake’s edge. I hear it, death; I block my ears telling myself it will be ok, but a beautiful voice sings, her voice makes me drowsy and urges me to come closer into the lake. I turn my head only to see the girl, the girl diving into the depths of the lake. I must save her, and I am soon swimming into the lake. She’s swimming deeper and deeper, but I can tell she needs oxygen as her strokes are starting to slow. I can also feel my throat screaming for fresh air. She stops and let’s go of her breath, she’s unconscious, but some force is bringing her even deeper. I can’t help her now otherwise I’ll be dead too. Something pushes the air out of my mouth and water is streaming in, flooding my lungs. I have to get back to the surface, but it seems miles away. I change direction swimming up but a new current pull at me – my lungs are on fire – I have to get to the top. I fight for my life swimming faster than I ever have but the current is still strong and is battling to sink me.
I finally can see light coming from the sky I am close, but don’t know how much more I have left in me. Then a hand smashes into the water helping me back up to the surface – Noah I think – but I am coughing up all the water that has made its way to my lungs. I am crying, Noah holding me ‘another victim of the forest’ I whisper to him barely audible, but he nods knowingly anyway. Even as Noah helps me away from the lake all I can think about is how the lake has taken another life, when will this madness stop and how did I just survive?

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!