Old Timer's Tale

“Ow, that hurt!”
“Well, guess what… You deserve it!”
“I hate you!”
“Settle down kids.”
“Why?”
“Now listen, you guys shouldn’t hate each other.”
“Why not?”
“I said listen. I have a story for you. Not that long ago, there was a man who loved walking in the park. And this was in the 1800’s so you can probably picture the houses around, freshly built of wood, with horse drawn carts and the early stages of transport. This man was in his late 50’s, single, and owned a secret greater than anything in the world. This man’s name was Mathew Smith.
Anyway, one day he was walking in the town park, you know, where you guys used to buy ice-creams from? As he was walking, he kept his family’s pocket watch in this breast pocket, where he could hear, and feel the slight movements of the gearing inside. Then, for no particular reason, his watch stopped, and so did Mathew. He crashed to the ground putting dirt all over his brand new suit. Dead. As he fell, the silver watch in his pocket flew out, soaring silently through the air until it too crashed to the ground. This harsh movement then moved something inside the clock mechanisms, causing the watch to tick once more. Mathew then rose from the ground, perfectly healthy, all except for the curse that had been placed on him since birth. This curse was that as long as the families silver watch ticked, then he would stay alive as well.
Then there was also another person who leisurely strolled into the moral of this story. Her name was Charmaine and she was cursed at birth as well. Cursed with immortal life, unless her heart was struck by silver, the only weapon that kills a curse. Charmaine saw Mathew fall in the middle of the park. She decided to go and help him. As they say, blood runs thicker than water, and she was his sister. Her last name was also Smith. As Charmaine approached, she recalled their separation at birth, that the orphanage had told her about, and that horrific day when the old hag approached, giving her the warning of her parents’ actions. Wanting riches that no one would ever own, ending up having to lose a child to an orphanage, and have both twins cursed. They only lived until Mathew was eight, literally placing his life in his hands, then horrifically dying in their sleep.
Now I know kids, that this may seem cruel and horrifying for me to tell you, but you have to hear me out. It’s for your own good. When Charmaine approached Mathew, he first felt uncomfortable in her presence, like something was missing from his life but he didn’t know what. Charmaine had kept tabs on him her whole life, and finally found him. After getting to know each other for a while, they decided to make an agreement. Charmaine, being immortal and all would keep Mathews watch, and keep it going, therefore keeping Mathew alive. This method did work for some time actually, for Charmaine didn’t need to eat or sleep.
This is the moral of the story, that siblings need each other. However, they both died.
Tragically whilst they were both walking through the park, they remembered the old days, wooden buildings, now stone or brick, the saplings planted now taller. They were now still living in 1928, They had already lived 123 years, and this is the day they died. Whilst they were walking, Charmaine had kept Mathews pocket watch in her right breast pocket, above her heart, where she could keep track if Mathew was alive, like always. They were jumped by a man with a gun. He asked for their valuables and as Mathew advanced on him, reaching for the gun, trying to settle the situation, the man jerked his hand away.
BANG!
Charmaine was shot in the chest. The bullet obliterated Mathews watch and collected enough silver to pierce her heart. You know what happened next.”
“Oh ok.”
“Now remember that story every time you’re about to fight with one another.”
“Yes we will.”
“Ok.”
***
“How did Mathew die?”
“You idiot!”

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!