Finding Witchcraft

“Frankie, how much have you written for the article, about Ben’s wombat?”
“Not much.” I said, “I’m on the bus to interview him.”
Jake sighed. “Turns out, the wombat that he rescued was just a stray dog.”
I knew it was too good to be true. This would have been the most interesting thing to happen in Lilac Valley for a long time.
“Would you be able to find another story by tomorrow?” he asked.
“Fine.” My voice wavered.
I slumped in my seat. Beside me an elderly woman sat, rifling through her handbag.
I couldn’t help but stare at her. She wore tinted glasses that covered her face. Her emerald dress was adorned with jewels. On top of her walking stick was a skull. It was obviously fake, but it still made me uneasy.
The lady noticed my staring and smirked. She got off the bus, leaving behind a card. Taking it, I sprinted off as well. If I gave it back to her, I could find out who she really was.
I thought I knew every part of Lilac Valley, but not this place. Looming over me was an old brick wall bestrewn with ivy, next to a stand crewed by a gaunt man. I walked up to him with uncertainty.
”Do you have an entrance card, miss?” he stared down at me.
I looked at what I was holding: a playing card adorned with a skull.
I hesitantly gave it.
With a grin, he led me to an opening in the wall and the entrance to a hedge maze.
“What am I supposed to do?” I stammered.
“The lady you’re wanting to find is at the end.”
The maze was a haunting jungle green. The path, narrow, twisted away into deep shadow. I ran inside skittish, yet determined. Whatever was beyond that maze, I could finally write a news-worthy story about.
Darkness smothered me. All I could hear were my clumsy footsteps. My hands reached for nothing. I could only keep walking.
I whipped around to a path filled with sunlight. The strange lady stood in the exit, an open field, clutching the skull of her walking stick.
“Who are you?” I asked.
“Ms. Verity. Local witch of Lilac Valley.”
“Witch?”
“Yes, and you will come to find wonders far greater than that. If you keep it a secret. The magic world can only be shown to a select few. If you don’t write your news story, I will repay you.” Ms. Verity handed me a playing card. There would be no way I could find another story by tomorrow.
I was relieved to find the same old brick wall that day after. Smiling, I gave the haggard man the playing card and strode into the shadowy maze, excited. I turned to the exit to see Ms. Verity, and another.
“Well, who is this?” her friend asked, surprised.
“Frankie, meet Lavender Morgan.” Ms. Verity said, “Lavender, this young lady is going to be Lilac Valley’s newest witch.”

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!