Alone

The young girl stared, she stared out the window, up at the billions of stars; carefully she chose one and ever so quietly whispered, “that one mother, that one is yours, right next to mine.” With that thought in mind she ever so delicately fell into a deep graceful sleep.
“Goodnight Evelyn,” mother said gently with a warm smile.
However when Evelyn woke up one morning she knew something wasn’t right. Her house which was usually warm and inviting was now quiet and dull. “Mother?” she asked as she tiptoed down to her mother's room and was relieved to see her mother lying quietly in her bed. But something was wrong. She was too quiet, too still. She moved closer and her heart stopped. Her mother's face was grey and lifeless but her eyes, they were the worst. They were usually beautiful and full of life but now they were cold and barren. She saw a note taped to the bedside table it read;
Dear Evelyn,
If you are reading this then I am no longer with you. But as mournful as this time may be, I want you to know I will always be with you no matter what’s thrown your way. Evelyn I love you more than you will ever know. Goodbye.
Mother xoxo
Evelyn finished reading it, tears rolling down her cheeks. “Mother? No this isn’t happening. It has to be a dream,” she desperately yearned, but at heart she knew it wasn’t. It was bad enough when Mother had announced father had died, there wasn’t even a funeral. She roamed back around the house remembering all the glorious times she’d had with her mother, but she still hadn’t taken it all in. Her mother, dead! Sadly, she realised she was never going to talk to her or give her a hug ever again.
Then, at that moment, a cold feeling of despair sent a shiver down her spine as a thought occurred. “What’s going to happen to me? Where will I go?” No, she didn’t even want to think about it. Then she heard a knock at the door, When she opened it she was surprised to find a handsome man with close cut hair and dark brown eyes. “Can I help you?” Evelyn asked. “Yes, I think you know me Evelyn, but where are my manners, my name is Dean, and I am your father. And your mine now.”
“No!” yelled Evelyn
for the first time ever she was truly Alone.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!