March Of Pride

I'm gay, but nobody knows it. Not even my family, they probably wouldn't care, though I have been too scared to tell them. There was a pride march through the city the next day, I wanted to go, but didn't want anybody to know. So the next morning I snuck out of the house and took a public bus to the city center in the gayest clothes I could find, which were a rainbow-striped tee, leggings that said 'Proud to be me' up one leg, and yeezys with a rainbow sole. yeah, I know, basic wardrobe, but what's a girl to do? Anyway, I got to the city center with a bunch of other people, when I got off the bus I saw someone handing out pride flags, so I took one and wandered into the crowd. I spotted a group of laughing friends, a couple kissing and people with their parents, smiling and having fun. I looked down at my feet, what am I doing here? I thought everybody was happy, with someone, while I was alone and unnoticed. Until she came.
"Hi, what's your name?, I noticed you were walking alone and I thought I would come say hi!"
I couldn't talk, this beautiful girl wanted to say hello to me?!
"U-um, it's E-Ella." I stuttered.
The girl giggled, her golden blonde locks swinging over her shoulder to rest on her back.
"Well, E-Ella, I'm Jemima, my friends call me Jem, or they would if I had any."
I frown, how could she not have any friends? Was it her personality? No, otherwise she wouldn't have come over. Was it the fact she was gay? Probably, but I didn't care about any of that, Jem's smile entranced me, and I stood staring until she started to frown.
"Sorry, it's just- you're so pretty, I was wondering why you didn't have any friends. Do you maybe wanna, I don't know, have lunch together sometime?"
Jem laughed again, I can't get enough of it, bubbly and sweet and... perfect.
"Well sure, to be honest, you're really sweet and I think you're cute too!"
She thought I was cute?! I'm so happy I want to sing and finally realise: I do belong here, and always will. I beamed and took her hand in mine and we walked into the midst of the crowd, hearing the familiar sounds of shouting, laughing and crying, joining a group of wheezing teens, all with an amazing sense of humour. I feel like I fit in right away, and they all accepted me from the very start. This was the first time I felt like I fit in anywhere, I’m so glad I went to that march, because its where I met the love of my life and my amazing group of friends, we still meet up at the same march every single year and almost every day in between. That march became my best memory. My very own March of Pride.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!