Nasrettin hodja and the birth giving pot

This is one of the stories that I have been told by my parents and now have written in my own words. It is a story that I have really enjoyed listening to. That’s why I chose this to share and enter the competition with.

One day, Hodja’s wife was going to make a large meal and she asks Hodja to go to their neighbour’s house to ask for a large pot. Hodja asks for a pot from his neighbour so his neighbour lends him one. In one week time Hodja returns the pot. When his neighbour opens the pot to see if everything is all right, he gets surprised to find another smaller sized pot inside it. Hodja’s neighbour asks Hodja, “Hodja?” “What is this pot doing in here?”. Hodja replies, “Oh dear neighbour your pot has given birth”. So his neighbour accepts it gratefully. A few weeks later, Hodja asks his neighbour to borrow his pot again. Hodja’s neighbour says. “Of course Hodja, you could borrow it any time you like”, with pride, Hodja takes the pot home and cooks his meal. After a month’s time, Hodja’s neighbour begins to get worried about his pot, so he walks over to Hodja’s house and asks, “Hodja, what in the world has happened to my pot.” Hodja replies, “Oh dear neighbour, I’m very sorry but your pot has passed away.” ... His neighbour says, “But Hodja?” “How could a pot pass away? ”... “Well, you believe that, your pot could give birth but you don’t believe that it could pass away!” . Hodja’s neighbour sadly walks away and tries not to be greedy again.

The moral of this story is, that selfishness and greed will never get you anywhere.

I hope you enjoyed this story as much as I have.

Arda Berkin Yilmaz

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!