Oceanic Thoughts

Everything seemed empty. The seemingly never-ending drop below appeared to be holding back long-lost wisdom, captured from the above world. As Emerson drifted below the surface of the immobile water, the still silence reminded him of waking up from a relaxing sleep.

Emerson could hear his slow, calm heartbeat pulsing through his veins, emphasizing the feeling of physical pressure of all the world's water weighing upon him, relieving him of all problems and responsibilities. This light headed feeling was emphasized by the soft warmth of the sunlight resting upon the water top. It vaguely shone down, reaching out to approvingly pat Emerson’s lush black hair and scalp. It was unclear if he was slowly sinking, or just gracefully floating. Had others not realized how fulfilling this experience was? Emerson though did realize the surprising immensity of the ocean, compared to the overflowing human population. Others surely longed for the same gratification as himself.

He could still not help feeling like the only soul down there. It appeared as though the blue, black shading before and underneath him continued indefinitely, with the endless isolation spread across nearly empty space. The mystery of what lay ahead tickled his curiosity, exciting him like a dog whose owner had just arrived home after a dreadful, draggy day. Only his senses and what seemed to be a disturbing, shapeless plastic accompanied his relaxed but aware consciousness. He felt every slight move as if it were taking up his full force but no energy at all, like in a victorious dream.

Along with annoyance at the mutilated plastic, he even felt slightly guilty disturbing an environment so grand, since all that people seemed to do was destroy anything greater than the useless symbols that they created. He imagined not to be human, but to merge and be part of the wide, wise and wondrous ocean because people shamefully continue to pollute everything within reach. Their excessive greed blinds them to extensive harm, assisting them in their wealth focused but purposeless paths. Without thought they produce and purchase shattering, one time use materials packaging their unsustainable, sordid items. Their abandoned plastic bruises the isolated corners of the world, including the bottom of the ocean. It destroys old and dark paradises, yet undiscovered by humans. They will not be found how they should be as 80% of the ocean waits and rots, currently unexplored like the surroundings of a small child, with prohibiting parents. Icebergs continue to melt and merge as the rest of the ocean begins to warm and grow into an old tomb.

The pattern of human destruction burned like an unavoidable fate. These pessimistic boulders were overshadowed by the realization that individuals in fact do have the constant opportunities to make differences, as what lies ahead is nothing. Things just happen how they happen, depending on decisions and physical reactions from beings and objects that exist. Emerson longed for humanity to improve, as matters like the environment were his sincere purpose.

His collection of thoughts, feelings along with his personal life faded away in the refreshing water as if they were faintly on paper, dissolving in his pure surroundings. Surroundings he felt draped around him like an indestructible, warm blanket. Thus appending to his ‘waking up from sleep feeling’ comforting him forevermore.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!