Darkness

An armada of DC-3s soared through the infinity blue-sky, leaving behind, a trail of Armageddon-black smog. The Earth coughed in return, choking on the toxic smog, sending out tremors of displeasure. Her watercress-green landscapes were fading off her back like a sun-burnt painting, all to be replaced by a draconian-grey. She did not know how much longer she could last.
The Earth fought with enemy forces: Pollution. Every hour she had to endure fusillades of rubbish like bombs detonating upon her head. Despite the effort, she was putting up an inferior fight. Nature was not winning despite many more years of experience. Humanity possessed a higher class weapon - Global Warming.
Earth’s continents were once pure as a teardrop. There was once something arcane called trees standing proud in the very place where buildings stand now. Forests and forests of paradise-green once occupied the world. Cherubic oceans of adorable life used to lap at the coast, yet all beauty had been sucked away from its humble possessor. The gem and beauty of nature had been stolen by humans.
There was just one last place that resembled anything much of its mother. It was an island in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by seas that still retained their aurora-blue colour, an island where there was such a thing as trees. Yet it too was fading. It had been losing its colour ever since the first ship landed there. All was not lost yet but then again, one little island couldn’t do much…
Then there was an Armageddon upon the island of opalescence. A fuel scented gust whipped through the air as a sound of engines rang through the land. Wheels hammered the battle-worn land as monolithic aircraft landed, leaving dimples in the face of Earth.
The beast had been summoned; there was no turning back. The supernova-splash of colour on a land of banality was now a supine shadow, backing into the last corner of hope.
The light shut out. Too soon had the Earth been vanquished. Too early had the Earth’s once regular state been etched into history. There was now no chance of seeing everything again - nature would only exist in photos and black and white print.
The humans had not realised what the consequences were. They let it happen and now they were shown the consequences. It was like a computer coming to its end. Soon everything would be wiped off the Earth - nothing could exist without nature.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!