The First Fire-breather

Smoke was running through the jungle. Large pine trees hemmed her in and her wings begged to fly.
I can’t. I can’t. I can’t! Her amber talons ached and she could feel the Mudwing soldiers advancing towards her. Smoke ducked behind a large oak tree, and, without spreading her wings, Smoke dug in her claws and scrambled up the tree.
She nestled into the leaves, feeling very out of place. The air was hot and her scales felt sticky. There were two many birds and they were all trying to out-sing each other and the result was a band of birds screeching.

Smoke’s amber scales didn’t provide much camouflage in a rainforest, but the Mudwing soldiers marched past her. She gave a sigh of relief, snorting smoke out of her nostrils. She gave it no attention.
Just as Smoke started to rustle the leaves, and get out of position; She heard voices.
“Mahogany, the Skywing went this way!” They were walking towards her.
“No, she didn’t!”
Brown scales came into view and she gasped.
Her friends. Mahogany and Mosquito. Tears stung her eyes and she knew they would find her in moments.
“T-There she is!” Mahogany screamed. Excitment tinged her voice and the Mudwing ran at her tree.
I’m sorry. Smoke leaped from the tree, but her foot caught on a branch, and she tumbled to the floor.
Mosquito planted a foot on Smoke’s chest and didn’t hesitate to lift her claw in a striking position.
It was then when Smoke knew, she could do something. Something no one had ever done before.
Something unknown.
She opened her mouth, and let the fire flow out.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!