A Compassionate Coach

His feet were aching as he plodded slowly from his dusty old caravan on his way to school. Slouching, he heaved his old filthy bag up over his shoulder and stuffed a crumpled permission form carelessly into his pocket. He looked up at the sun as he felt the warming rays touch his arms. It was as warm as being wrapped up in a soft, fluffy blanket. A fresh morning beach breeze blew through his curly chocolate hair but not before the toxic smell of car fumes from the busy highway reached his nostrils. As Jack and his younger brother Archer reached the pavement, Jack's forehead wrinkled and his lips tightened as he continued to listen to the moans of his younger brother.

The words, “ I'm sorry Jack, I don't have the money for these flights,” echoed in his ears from the conversation he had with his apologetic Aunt Amanda the night before. She had handed the permission form back to Jack slowly and with a heavy brow. Jack's head had dropped with despair and he sunk into the lounge heavily. Jack felt bad for his Aunt because it wasn't her fault that she couldn't pay for the flights.

Beep! Jack was standing stationary at the stoplights when he heard someone yell.
“Have an awesome day, man!” called a young, jubilant surfer as he sped past in his Combi van.
“See!” exclaimed Archer, “there are still good things and good people in the world.”
“Yeah, maybe you’re right, buddy!” replied Jack as a smile began to grow on his face.

As they reached the school gates, Jack quivered realising he had to find Coach Daniel quickly to tell him the bad news. Jack farewelled Archer and as he strolled around the C Block and saw Coach Daniel striding out of the administration office.
“Coach Daniel!” Jack shouted
“Over Here!” while waving his arms around wildly.
As Jack watched Coach Daniel walk towards him, he took a big deep breath preparing himself for what could be the worst day of his life. He could only feel sad and destroyed.
“What if this is it for me?” he wondered to himself.

They walked into Coach Daniel’s small office in the sports centre, Jack sat down slowly and sunk into his chair.
“What was it that you wanted Jack?” questioned Coach Daniel
Jack gulped loudly.
“I needed to talk about the Spain trip,” he confessed sadly, “ my aunt can't afford to send me.”
“ But we need you if we want to win, there is no way we can go if you don't we’ll just embarrass ourselves.” Coach Daniel thought he said that in his head.
“ You don't need me to win,” Jack reassured him” You guys will be great!”
“Oh, I thought I said that in my head.”

Jack handed the envelope to Coach Daniel. The office fell dead quiet and they both fell into deep thought when all of sudden Coach Daniel’s phone buzzed Bing!
“ Ah thats it!” Coach exclaimed “I’ll pay for your flight!”
“Isn't it too expensive?” Jack questioned
“It will be fine.” Coach Daniel explained
Ding Dong, Ding Dong, Ding Dong! Well, I better get to class. Thank you so much Coach Daniel, without you me dreams would never come true

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!