Knee Socks

I was twelve going on thirteen the first time I felt like I belonged. That was a long time ago, but only if you measure it in terms of years. I was living in a small town deep in the woods of Sheffield, where a home for young nuns learned the religion they would follow for the rest of their days. My mother was sent to the home while pregnant with me. She was fifteen at the time and raised me all by herself. People told her to put me up for adoption, but she refused to give me up, little Violet, but please, call me Lottie.
All I knew were the ways of a nun, but there was something about the religion I couldn’t seem to wrap my head around. At the young age I remember getting into trouble around the home and getting ruthless punishments. People would label me one with the devil but I swear I was just being a curious kid that wanted to learn about the world. I remember my mother would always look away in shame when I was called to the head nun’s office. I didn’t know what I was doing wrong.
On my twelfth birthday, nobody even gave me recognition on me being another year older. I was devastated about that and decided that tonight I would leave this cruel place and roam the streets of Sheffield. As the day came to an end and night grew closer, I was packing my old guitar case with the clothes the home gave me. Right now I was wearing a grey dress with a floral pattern spread across it, paired with ripped white knee socks and buckle shoes.
The night had come to an end and most people were getting ready for bed. My mother was brushing her pearly white teeth and I was putting on an old t-shirt that I took from my best friend, Stella. I wasn’t going to tell Stella about my plan tonight because I knew it would be too hard to say good-bye.
The home was silent; only soft snores could be heard. Everyone was dreaming, but I couldn’t be more awake. I crept out of the window at the end of the small hallway. I pushed the stubborn window open with a hard nudge with my shoulder. I peeked my head out and looked at the far drop that I was about to jump. I held my breath and slowly lifted my leg outside the rafter. I closed my eyes tightly shut and let a sigh escape my lips. I was about to jump when I felt a tight grasp around my forearm. With a shaky breath, I turned and saw Stella grinning mischievously. She had her belongings in her bag ready to leave with me. “On three, then we’re free.” She whispered again lightly with a hollow laugh. It would be Lottie and Stella forever “One.” “Two.” “Three.” Stella laughed breathlessly along with me.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!