Heart Of Roses

Every afternoon on my walk home from school I pick a rose off the bush in Trila Park. My little sister's favorite flower was roses. I stroll along the footpath, everything calm around me and nothing to hear but the occasional bird chirping or a car passing by. I enjoy my walks home because it clears my mind and makes me feel at peace with my surroundings. I arrive home, say hello to my mum and then head upstairs with the rose still in my hand. I walk into my room and place the rose in a purple vase that I had filled with fresh water earlier that morning. Next to the vase lays a photo frame with a picture of me and my little sister in the backyard when we were younger. Closing my eyes, I am taken back to that exact moment. Me and her were racing around the garden beds and around the patio in search of Easter eggs. We were inseparable, the best of friends. We spent each and every day walking to and from school and playing in the afternoons. Nothing could beat our incredible friendship. But as I am sucked back into reality, I feel a wave of sadness come over me and the light streak of a tear rolling down my cheek. I turn and sprawl myself across my bed. I swallow the lump in my throat and use every ounce of my strength to keep myself under control. As I lie there for several minutes the memory crawls back into my head. Our ball had rolled out onto the street. I called out to her “Ill go grab it” as I ran across our front lawn towards where our ball lay on the corner of our street. Just before I reach the ball, I hear a yell from behind me and I receive a forceful shove. I get up, shocked. Turning around, I see Lila laying their on the street and a red car just behind her. I call out for Mum and she rushes out the front door and realizes what happened. I rush over to where Lila is on the floor and cry out with sadness. I hear a faint sound and look down as Lila says “You are my rose big sis and I love you”. Then everything silences. I sit up in my bed and a feeling of sadness and dread washes over me. I call out for Mum and she comes up the stairs and hugs me and tells me that everything will be ok. Lila meant everything to me and she made me who I am. She was brave and bold and I will never let her go. Every afternoon I bring the roses to remember her and to show her that I’m still here for her as she watches down on me. Lila made the sacrifice for me, and for that she was always be the rose in my heart.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!