New Years Eve

On a cold New Years Eve, at midnight Essian and Bryan decide to see the fireworks for their first time ever.

Essian and Bryan both look at each other than look back at the view and slowly walk. Each step they take, they can feel their feet sinking beneath the lush green grass. They look around and they can see thousands of people who have set up camping spots, with tents, pillows and snacks. They see people in luxurious white boats that bob up and down in the water. They are amazed at the colourful fireworks that split up in all directions, while some shoot straight up, others break like when you blow dandelions as a kid. The fireworks go from left to right, up and do. At completion of the fireworks, there is a smoky haze and distinct smell. On the Harbour Bridge fireworks shoot up, as well as down with a firework waterfall. At the forefront to the left, was the magnificent Opera House.

Essian and Bryan decide to sit down on the cold lush green grass, looking at the view in awe. Sitting next to them is an old couple discussing the importance of the harbour. The old man asks the boys “do you know the significance of the harbour” Bryan and Essian slowly shook their heads - after a pause, the old man continues “ CRIKEY MATE, this new generation doesn't know anything about my mighty Australia”. The old woman begins to tell the boys about the harbour, “ for as long as it has existed…, some 6,000 years, the Sydney Harbour conveyed inspiration to the people living there. The harbour... helped boatbuilders, wharf workers, sailors and fishermen. The first settlements were all established... around the harbour. Until the harbour bridge came to be”. “What's the harbour bridge?” shouted Essian out loud. “Now that's another story!”, exclaimed the old woman.

A man hearing the conservation tapped Essian on the shoulder and pointing straight ahead, said “ I know quite a bit about the Harbour Bridge. Would you like me to tell you? “Yes please”, they both replied in unison. “The Sydney Harbour Bridge is a steel arched bridge that goes across the Sydney Harbour. The bridge opened in 1932 and serves as a transportation link between Sydney and its suburbs on the northern side of the harbour. This bridge portrays the identity of Australia by its unique design. It is a long-standing landmark and was built at the time of the great depression. At the time, it was a great piece of Australian engineering and workmanship”. “ What is that big floaty white thing with the unique design?’’ asked Essian.

“That is the Opera House” replied the old man's daughter as she came back with snacks. “That beauty..., the Opera House was built in the 20th century. With such a unique design, it is one of the seven wonders of the world under the UNESCO World Heritage List. Nowhere in the world is there anything like this.”

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!