Saturday Morning

Friday. Assignment day. At least, that's what the calendar said.
Cass sat up in her bed, sunlight shining directly onto her face. She sighed as she looked at the calendar across the room; her vision failed to read it properly, but she was sure it said “FRIDAY”. She got up and packed her books into her bag. Cass had been studying all night, preparing for the assignment. Her desk was a mess, pencil shavings littered the floor. Anyone would think a cyclone had blown through.

She picked up a piece of paper off of the desk. It resembled an unfinished sick note, at least 2/3 complete. With the current state it was in, it could have been used as a drama script; it was that dramatic. 'I've got this,' and 'I've got that'. ‘This happened here,’ and ‘this happened there’.
It sounded like another episode of Home and Away.

She recalled her surroundings while she worked; she had been hopped up on caffeine, her computer screen barely emitting enough light to see anything, with music playing quietly from a speaker. Pencils of different colors and sizes, strewn across the desk. Her window had been open, letting in the cool air and the dim moonlight while she sketched.

She quickly ripped a piece of paper from her book, well aware of the time she was wasting. She began to write, keeping it as close to her parent's hand-writing as possible. This time she didn't bother to make it dramatic; just a short note, explaining that she was sick for the day and had to take the assignment another day. She added her mother's signature, carefully tracing it onto the paper.

Then Cass slowly realized. Today wasn't Friday. What she also realized was that, regrettably, she had been at a party that night, not studying. She had become carried away, downed a few too many energy drinks, and proceeded to go on a sugar crash a few hours later. She'd completely forgotten what day it was, and whether she had done the assignment. She checked the calendar again.

"SATURDAY."

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!