Nani

Grandmother is never just a word. She is your second mother. A person who will always be imprinted in your heart. A lady you look up to and want to be like. Grandmothers are supposed to cook the yummy food and love you extremely. They are very special people and a hero in your eyes. My grandmother from my mother’s said who I call Nani, is an example of a grandmother. My mother was super close to my Nani. Since the time she held me in her arms, I felt her warmth and kindness. Nani was the one to teach me my ABC’s and 123’s. She made me the smart girl I am today. My Nani showed me and taught me what love really is. The days she used to sing to me and play with me. I remember how we went to her house, we all sat together talking, laughing and telling jokes till 2am in the morning. My whole family went to her house to talk and we all got along. I remember the spices and flavours of her food, the delicious taste of any food she made. She made me yummy bhaji and roti whenever I went to stay over at her house. Celebrating Eid, our religious celebration, with her was one of the best times with her. My Grandmother is someone I will never forget. She made everything seem wonderful, even if it was not. Everything was amazing with her around. But she was never going to stay in this world forever, on 11th June 2019 a tragic thing happened, right after our eid celebration. One day while my mum was fasting, she called Nani over to eat with us to break her fast. When my Nani was late and didn’t arrive for iftar [breaking of fast] my mum got really worried and sent my dad to check on her. My mum knew that something really bad had happened, crying she started walking/running to my Nani's house, even though it is 20 minutes away. My auntie came and picked us up and drove us to Nani’s house. Sirens, cries and shouts all came before my eyes. My Nani laying down on the bedroom floor, frozen. I started to cry and people started to fill the house. My Nani is the bestest grandmother I could ever ask for. Her laughs and smiles still make us happy and her memories will always be in our hearts forever. My Nani was an inspiration to me and all her grandchildren and kids. Now everytime we pass her grave while driving to school we greet her. Putting flowers on her grave was something I never imagined doing. Sitting down without her is different. This amazing woman’s memories and talents will never be forgotten. My Nani will never be forgotten. I love her so much, my Nani.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!