A Cry For Help

The daunting trees enclosed the house like a prison. Slimy moss crept up the intimidating gates guarding the building. Screaming wind echoed through the lonely trees like lost souls trapped in the walls of the dilapidated mansion. The distinctive aroma of decaying wood drifted up through the broken floorboards.

Luscious, chestnut hair flew in the howling wind. Polished, red boots gleamed in the dull surroundings. Lana stood glaring at the decrepit building. Her miniature Dachshund, Pepper, stared up at her wondering what to do. Abruptly the gate swung open. Taking a deep breath, they tiptoed into the mansion.


Carefully Lana shuffled through the darkened corridor, Pepper hiding behind her legs. Suddenly a silhouette appeared from the darkness. The creature sprinted towards them. Lana and Pepper began to run but it was too late. The creature jumped on her back pinning her to the ground while Lana screamed in fright.
“That’s enough Tuna!” Yelled a man hurrying down the stairs.

Hesitantly Tuna did so with a squawk. The man addressed himself as Peter and the Penguin attacker was Tuna. Tuna was wearing a red bow tie and had an evil grin sneered across his face. Peter wore a dusty, brown jacket and his hair looked like the top of an old broom. Peter offered Lana and Pepper to stay and soon directed them to a room on the top floor. It was piled with mountains of books and had an aged spring coil bed in the corner.

Lying in bed later that night, Lana gasped in shock as Peter discussed with Tuna their real plans.
“Peter’s a wizard? Wait, I don’t want to be a test experiment as a mutant snail!” Said Lana loudly before quickly covering her mouth.
Peter’s footsteps echoed throughout the house as he made his way to her room. With no time to think Lana grabbed Pepper and leapt out the window hoping for a soft landing.

Landing on a bush Lana immediately stared back up at the window and ducked to be out of sight. They snuck away into the black dense bushland surrounding them. Lana peered around at the sprinting shadows and the blanket of gloomy mist. Pepper took off running with great fear, Lana hot on his tail. With legs that felt like jelly they stumbled across an empty road scattered with puddles. It was like starring into an endless mirror rippled with mystery over the moonlight sky.
Golden beams of sunrise decorated the sky, Lana awoke to the sound of a car horn. Sleepily, she looked up to see an old lady in little, red car signalling to her. Lana gratefully accepted the lady’s offer of help and bounded in with Pepper on her lap. As the sun descended from the sky the car came to a halt. Lana thanked the lady and got out confused to what she saw but the vehicle was already driving away. Lana sighed and stared up at the derelict, abandoned factory.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!